Professional Readiness and Leadership Center
- What is an internship?
An internship is any carefully monitored, meaningful learning experience in which an individual has intentional professional goals and reflects actively on what he or she is accomplishing throughout the experience.
- What are the benefits for Employers?
Often times an internship is the ideal fit for an individual and employer. Developing an internship program is an excellent strategy for investing in your organization’s future successes, often leading to discovering future colleagues and leaders.
- What are the benefits for Students?
Internships provide real-world experience to students looking to explore or gain the relevant knowledge and skills required to enter into a particular career field.
- What discipline within College of Business would best fit your company’s needs?
Accounting, Management, Information Technology, Economics, Finance, and Marketing are offered at TN Tech’s College of Business.
- What is the recommended level of pay for an intern?
Employers are encouraged to pay interns an hourly wage of $12-15.
- How does one design an internship program?
It’s important to not only develop a plan for the internship, but also to document the plan. You may write as detailed a plan as you like, but you should summarize key components of the plan using bullet points. Establish goals and objectives you wish for the internship to accomplish.
- What goals should be set?
The goals set should involve your intern’s work and expectations you want met.
- How do I set a timeline for this internship?
Set how long the program will last. The average internship is 8 to 12 weeks. Decide what time of the year the program will take place (spring, summer, or fall.)
- Who will "keep tabs” on the intern hired?
Assign an on site supervisor to monitor the interns progress as well as assist in developing some particular skills or knowledge that is helpful in achieving the goals of the intern. Remember, a supervisor will be a good resource for questions, evaluations, feedback, and guidance
and the inclusion of one in the internship program can lead to the success of the program as a whole. This is especially important if the student wishes to receive course credit once the internship is over.
- Should I have a hiring strategy that occurs at the end of the program?
If your plan is to convert interns into employees, yes.
To make your internship more attractive to the best student applicants,
it is suggested to include the following:
- Why will students want to apply for your opportunity over others in the industry?
- Does your opportunity illustrate how it will be a unique experience?
- Do you fully define the benefits and incentives your organization can provide?