College of Arts and Sciences

Chemistry FAQs

1. I'm interested in Undergraduate Research. When and how can I start?

We are glad to hear this is something you are interested in initiating. First you should become somewhat familiar with the different research going on in faculty labs. Go to club meetings and talk to other members about their experiences as well. Look at the posters in the hallways to gain an even deeper understanding of some of the active projects. Read about undergraduate research on the Chemistry Website. Email the professor and tell them you are interested in their work and would like to learn more. They will usually set up a meeting with you where you can discuss options. Some faculty will even allow Freshmen to join their research group.

2. I'm having trouble registering for a CHEM class. I may need a permit. Where do I go to get a permit for a Chemistry Class?

First, be sure to discuss this with your advisor. Your best course of action is to stop by the Chemistry office in FH 219 and speak with Mrs. Norsworthy or Mrs. Norman. There are many reasons why students need permits and our office can usually help you determine the reason and the course of action required for you to get into the chemistry class you need.

3. I'm having trouble in my CHEM class. Where can I go to get help?

You are already ahead of the game since you are seeking help. Many students give up. We are glad you are not one of them. We have been offering free tutoring for many years. Currently, our tutoring is offered in the Chemistry Learning Commons on the fourth floor of Foster Hall. This is offered Monday through Thursday from around 3:00 p.m. in the afternoon until 9:00 p.m. in the evening. Another place to go is the iLearn website "Chemical Solutions." You can self enroll to gain access to many learning resources.

4. Can undergraduates go to advertised departmental seminars?

Yes. Seminars are open to all faculty, staff and students.

5. Does the Chemistry department offer or participate in graduate degrees?

Yes. The Chemistry Department offers a terminal Master of Science in Chemistry. Many Chemistry faculty also participate in the Environmental Sciences PhD program mentoring doctoral students.