Comm Week promotes student work, games
Comm Week begins at 11 a.m. on Monday, April 16 with a news hole tournament (corn hole with newspapers instead of beanbags) in RUC 342. That same day, Tennessee Tech alumni and communication professionals will speak at 6 p.m. in RUC 342 and RUC 369. For information about any of the scheduled events, email Christine Seiber at email@example.com.
Debate team concludes season
The following students placed at the Buccaneer Parli Plunder Debate Tournament at Eastern Tennessee State University, Kingsport campus on April 7. A list of individual and team awards for the 2017-2018 season may be downloaded at the team's webpage.
- First Place Team in Novice National Parliamentary Debate Association Debate: Amanda Smith and Derrick Sarmiento
- Second Place Speaker Award in Novice NPDA Debate: Amanda Smith
Students earn Society for Collegiate Journalists awards
- First Place Individual Magazine Writing – Isaac Wright for "Homegrown Darkroom"
- Second Place Magazine Overall Excellence – Eagle Eye
- Second Place Feature Photography – Marcelo Gonzales for "When Hate Trumps Hate"
- Honorable Mention News Stories – J.K. McMillen for "10,000 flock to Tucker Stadium to witness eclipse totality"
- First Place Concept of the Book – The Eagle
- Second Place Yearbook Overall Excellence (Over 7,000) – The Eagle
- Second Place Photography – The Eagle
- Third Place Coverage of the Year – The Eagle
- Third Place Reporting in Words – The Eagle
- Third Place Display – The Eagle
Debate team wins big in Blountville
- First Place Team in Novice National Parliamentary Debate Association Debate: Amanda Smith and Gavin Dies
- Second Place Team in Novice NPDA Debate: Madison Davis and Derrick Sarmiento
- Fourth Place Speaker Award in Novice NPDA Debate: Amanda Smith
- Eighth Place Speaker Award in Novice NPDA Debate: Derrick Sarmiento
Speech and debate team recognized at national tournament
The Tennessee Tech Speech and Debate Team earned several awards at the Pi Kappa Delta National Comprehensive Tournament at Tennessee State University in Nashville held from March 14-17. The group was ranked seventh in the nation among similarly sized teams.
- Madison Davis: National Champion Novice National Parliamentary Debate Association Speaker
- Madison Davis and Derrick Sarmiento: Semifinalists in Novice NPDA Debate
- Josh Hardin and Amanda Smith: Quarterfinalists in Novice NPDA Debate
- Marcelo Gonzales: Quarterfinalist in Editorial Impromptu Speaking
- Madison Davis: Quarterfinalist in Extemporaneous Speaking
- Madison Davis: Excellence Award in Interviewing
- Seventh Place Overall Sweepstakes Award for Division I Entry Size
Interview with a communication major
Student Marcelo Gonzales was recently featured in the University's "Student Spotlight." Click here to read the profile.