News and Events
- Congratulations to our 3 graduates who have earned their degrees this August 2015. The Following student was awarded the B.S. degree in Mathematics: Anna Litchford. Azizah Alqhtani and Maged Joseph were awarded the M.S. in Mathematics.
- Dr. Lukun Zheng and Mrs. Stacy Brown have joined the mathematics faculty Fall 2015. Dr. Zheng joined the department as Assistant Professor in Statistics, and comes to us from The University of North Carolina at Charlotte where he earned his Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics. His research interests include several topis in Statistics and Probability Theory. Mrs. Brown joined the department as Lecturer, and comes to us from Nashville State Community College. Ms. Brown has her M.S. in Mathematics and her Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from Tennessee Technological University.
- Congratulations to our 17 graduates at the May 2015 commencement. The following twelve students were awarded the B.S. degree in Mathematics: Derek Babb, Charlotte Bader, Dalton Blythe, Hannah Downs, Erica Hohne, Jennifer Hudson, Tyler Jones, Keith Manning, Joshua Moffett, Andrew Mullins, Colton Sharp, and Hunter Stephens. Leah Frauendienst, Bernardino Guerrero, Ashley Lawson, Christopher Newton and David Tidwell was awarded their M.S. in Mathematics.
- Congratulations to Michael
Allen, Rick Le Borne,
and David Smith for being named
recipients of the College of Arts & Sciences Innovative Teaching Award at
the University's Faculty Recognition Reception Friday, April 24, 2015.
- Dr. Chris Davis joined the mathematics faculty as Assistant Professor in fall 2014. Dr. Davis comes to us from a post-doc appointment at LSU. He earned the Ph.D. at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and his research interests include Numerical Analysis and Scientific Computing.
- Congratulations to our 16 graduates at the May 2014 commencement. The following fifteen students were awarded the B.S. degree in Mathematics: James L. Barrett (Math and Physics), Megan A. Bell, Zachary L. Brown (Math and CSC), Timothy J. Eisenbraun, William "Bo" Gilbert, Benjamin J. Klages, Ashley M. Lawson, Paige E. Nash (Math and CSC), Hieu T. Pham, William A. Pritchard, Melissa M. Rich, David C. Rose, Marianne C. Sciarrino, Michele S. Smith, and John B. Welchance. Eric B. Morgan was awarded the M.S. in Mathematics.
- Mathematics faculty member, Mr. Jared Daniels, was awarded Tennessee Tech University's General Education Award for Outstanding Teaching in May 2014. This annual award recognizes exemplary teaching in introductory-level general education courses.
- On Tuesday, April 15, 2014 approximately 408 middle school and high school students from Upper Cumberland schools participated in the 58th Annual Tennessee Mathematics Teachers' Association Mathematics Contest on the TTU Campus.
- Dr. Padmini Veerapen joined the mathematics faculty as Assistant Professor in fall 2013. Dr. Veerapen earned her Ph.D. at the University of Texas at Arlington and her research interests are in Noncommutative Algebra and Noncommutative Algebraic Geometry.
- Dr. Sam Narimetla was named a recipient of the 2013 Outstanding Faculty Award for Teaching at the spring commencement.
- Eight mathematics students were awarded degrees at the May 2013 Commencement. Nathaniel Beaty, Leah Frauendienst, BJ Guerrero, Stephen Mackie, and Justin Vann were awarded the B.S. in Mathematics, and Christopher Hatcher, Gayan Maduranga, and William Wilhoite were awarded the M.S. in Mathematics.
- On April 11, 2013 the Mathematics Department hosted its 11th Annual Integration Bee. The winners were 1st place - Richard W. Vradenburgh, Freshman, Mathematics; 2nd place - Jared D. Davis, Sophomore, Mechanical Engineering; 3rd place - Hieu Pham, Junior, Secondary Education Mathematics; and Benjamin Rentschler, Sophomore, Mechanical Engineering. A donation from First Tennessee Bank enabled us to award cash prizes for first, second, and third place.
- Patsy Peavyhouse, administrative associate in the math department, was named Tennessee Tech University’s ambassador of the month for December.
- The Math Department office won the 2012 Awesome Office Competition held during Tech Pride Week. Brian O'Connor, Troy Brachey, Tommy Elliott, Patsy Peavyhouse and Vickie Mayberry prepared the video submitted by the departmental office. The fact that the Math Department office has won the award five consecutive years is evidence of the creativity of Patsy and Vickie.
- Dr. Damian Kubiak and Dr. Tonya Riddlesworth joined the mathematics faculty as assistant professors in fall 2012. Dr. Kubiak earned his Ph.D at the University of Memphis and his research interests are in analysis. Dr. Riddlesworth earned her Ph.D at the University of Central Florida and is interested in research in biomedical statistics.
- In December 2011 Mr. Troy Brachey received the TTU General Education Award for Outstanding Teaching.
- Patsy Peavyhouse and Vickie Mayberry used their creativity and decorating skills to win an Awesome Office award for the departmental office decorations during 2011 Purple Pride Days. This is the fourth consecutive year that the math office has won first place in the small office category.
- The departmental office earned an Awesome Office award for its decorations during Purple Pride Days in 2010. This is the third year in a row that the math office has won first place in the small office category. The secretaries came up with the theme, "Reelin' In Purple Pride." The deaprtment's secretaries, Patsy Peavyhouse and Vickie Mayberry, created the award-winning "Let the Fund Begin" and "Techaroo" decorations in 2008 and 2009, respectively.
- Three TTU students participated in the 26th annual Mathematical Contest in Modeling sponsored by COMAP, the Consortium for Mathematics and its Applications. Over 2254 teams representing institutions from 14 countries participated in this year’s contest. The team from TTU consisted of two mathematics majors, Andrew Starnes and Daniel Wilkerson, and one chemical engineering major, Ryan Pavlovsky. The team was designated as Meritorious Winners. Dr. Andrew Hetzel volunteered his time as faculty advisor for the team.
- Mathematics Department secretary Vickie Mayberry received the 2008 Outstanding Staff Award.
- Dr. Richard Le Borne was named a recipient of the 2008 Outstanding Faculty Award for Teaching at spring commencement.
- Dr. David Smith was named a recipient of the 2007 Outstanding Faculty Award for Teaching at spring commencement and a Distinguished Faculty Fellow at the Fall University Faculty Meeting.