Thanks in part to the generous support of friends, faculty, and alumni, The Stanley Dolzycki Memorial Scholarship Fund was endowed in January 2000. We were able to award the scholarship for the first time at the College of Arts and Sciences Honors Night on April 26, 2001.
In 1986, friends, family and co-workers established the scholarship fund to memorialize Polish mathematician Dr. Stanislaw "Stanley" Janusz Dolzycki. The goal of the fund is to "recognize outstanding graduate students in mathematics who have demonstrated promise in some area of mathematics" and who have exhibited "good scholarship potential." Students who have completed at least one semester in full standing in the program are eligible to be nominated for the award. A Selection Committee, comprised of the Chair of the Mathematics Department, the Graduate Student Advisor, one Graduate Mathematics Faculty, and Mrs. Jadwiga Dolzycki, selects the recipient and announces the award recipient at the College of Arts and Sciences Honors Night in April.
Dr. Dolzycki was a distinguished mathematician with two master's degrees: one in electrical engineering from Politechnika Wroclawska (Wroclaw), and one in mathematics from Uniwersytet Wroclawski (Wroclaw). Later, Dr. Dolzycki was awarded two Ph.D. degrees: one in applied mathematics from Politechnika Wroclawska, and one in electrical engineering from Marquette University (Milwaukee, WI). Stanley understood the importance of scholarship assistance as a way to attract and recognize outstanding mathematics students. He benefited from a scholarship that allowed him to complete his studies and come to the United States to obtain his Ph.D. in electrical engineering. As a result of his education, Dr. Dolzycki was a distinguished scholar and teacher who served Tennessee Technological University well. He was extremely active in research and teaching, and was well known in his field.
With your continuing support, we will be able to continue to award The Stanley Dolzycki Memorial Scholarship to our best graduate students. You can make a difference knowing that your contribution will benefit students pursuing the area of study exemplified by Dr. Dolzycki.
- Recipient must be a graduate student in Mathematics in full standing.
- Nominee must have demonstrated promise in some area of mathematics.
- The award must be based on good scholarship potential.
- Any mathematics graduate faculty member may submit nomination(s) for the award to the Graduate Student Advisor by the end of February.
- The Graduate Student Advisor promptly informs each nominee of his nomination and requests that the following materials be submitted to the Graduate Student Advisor by March 15:
- Curriculum vita
- Two letters of recommendations, addressed to the "Selection Committee of the Stanley Dolzycki Memorial Scholarship", of which one needs to come from the student's thesis advisor or the academic advisor.
- The Graduate Student Advisor promptly forwards via the Department Chair all documentation to the "Selection Committee of the Stanley Dolzycki Memorial Scholarship"
- The Committee will announce its decision before the end of the spring semester at the CAS Honors Night.
- Half of the award will be given to the student(s) at the beginning of the fall semester, and the other half at the beginning of the spring semester provided the student continues to meet the award criteria. If circumstances warrant it, at the discretion of the Committee, the full amount of the award may be given at the beginning of the fall semester.
- The Selection Committee shall be composed of:
- Prof. Jadwiga Dolzycki
- Chair of the Mathematics Department
- The Graduate Student Advisor
- One Graduate Mathematics Faculty Representative
Please print our pledge card Donor Card and send it along with your contribution to:
Allan Mills, Professor and Chair
c/o Stanley Dolzycki Memorial Scholarship Fund
Department of Mathematics, Box 5054
Tennessee Technological University
Cookeville, Tennessee TN 38505
Gifts of any amount will be appreciated. Gifts made by the end of December can be used as deductions on your income tax.