Kaltura Meda Platform
What is Kaltura?
Kaltura gives us the ability to create our own video portal (like a Tennessee Tech YouTube). It can be used for creating lecture capture videos (similar to TechSmith Relay) or uploading videos that were made using other software. This tool includes mechanical captioning tools that allow all videos to be closed captioned at a 70-80% accuracy rate and the ability to edit the captioning for 100% accuracy. This provides an invaluable tool to all of those who are using the Kaltura platform at Tennessee Tech. This software integrates with iLearn to allow faculty to easily share their videos with students.
Currently, Kaltura is available only for faculty who use iLearn. At the My Home level you will see the My Media link. My Media is where your media is stored. On the Course Home there will be a Media link that includes an additional link for the Media Gallery. This link is for course specific media only available to students in that section.
- Accessing your Media
- Add New Media
- Adding a Video Quiz
- Editing Captions
- Students Uploading Media
- Approving Student Media Uploads
For more information about Kaltura view their video tutorials and case studies about use of video in the classroom.
Download the Getting Started with Kaltura at Tennessee Tech Guide.
Students: Can't see the Media Gallery in iLearn?
Are you using a Mac with Safari? Are you seeing either an "Access Denied" error or one that says "It seems your browser is blocking 3rd party sessions cookies which are required for the Kaltura application. To resolve this issue, please update your settings to allow 3rd party cookies. "
- Use another browser (Chrome, Firefox, Opera...)
- Change your Safari Preferences
- Go to the Safari menu and select Preferences - Privacy.
- Make sure the option under Website tracking for Prevent cross-site tracking is is unchecked.
- Go to your course and click the Media Gallery or My Media link under Media.
- Once you do this, it should allow the cookie and then you can go back and put your setting back to Allow from websites I visit (or other setting you prefer).