Making an Appointment
There are many different reasons that one might decide to schedule an appointment to see a counselor. We offer brief, short term sessions to assist you in addressing your concerns and can help to connect you with a community service for long term needs.
To schedule an appointment, you may:
- Call the office during normal office hours at 931-372-3331
- Stop by the office located on the 3rd floor of the Roaden University Center. Turn left off the elevator and we are at the end of the hall in room 307.
- Log on to the Eagle Wellness Portal at myhealth.tntech.edu which is available 24 hours per day.
- The portal may not allow you to make appts during semester breaks. In such cases, you may need to contact the office by calling or stopping in.
There are different levels of need that you may be asked about when you call to set up an appointment. Walk-Ins are available M-F from 1 - 3 PM. With the exception of Crisis Level appointments, these walk-in sessions can be expected to brief, and not lasting more than 20 minutes.
Levels of Appointments
Need to be seen immediately. This may be appropriate if a student is feeling suicidal or feels that he or she is in danger of hurting him/her self or another person(s). If the office is closed, please contact the Eagle Eye After Hours Crisis Counselor at 855-206-8997 or 931-372-3331. A Counselor will be available to talk with you by phone. A member of the TN Tech Counseling Center will follow up with you by the end of the next business day.
Other Options Include:
- Emergency: 911 or Nearest Emergency Room
- Contact Campus Police: 931-372-3234 or 911
- Volunteer Behavioral Health Mobile Crisis: 1-800-704-2651
- Plateau Crisis Walk In Center: 1200 S Willow Ave * Cookeville
- Tennessee Statewide Mental Health & Substance Use Crisis: 1-855-CRISIS-1
- Crisis Text: 741741
Student is experiencing emotional distress and an appointment will be needed within 72 hours.
Student is not in crisis, but is wanting to talk with a counselor to work on identified issues. These appointments can be expected to be scheduled within 10 business days.
**If the student has not recently seen a counselor, but would like to schedule an appointment, they will be set up with a TRIAGE appt (approx. 15 - 20 minutes). During this appt, the student will meet with a clinician to assess their need. An INTAKE appt (approx. 45 - 50 minutes) will be scheduled for the student to return and begin the counseling process.
Student or staff is not in crisis, but is wanting a list of referrals or resources such as (but not limited to) local clinicians for medication management or counseling, AA/NA meetings, grief groups, and other community resources.
PLEASE NOTE: The TN Tech Counseling Center DOES NOT:
- Prescribe medication
- Write letters for TN Tech Disability Services
- Write letters for emotional support or therapy animals