Summer High School Art Intensives
The Craft Center invites high school art teachers from across the country to bring two of their students to our 2018 summer art intensives. This program presents opportunities for students and teachers alike to spend an entire week creating and learning in our professionally equipped studios and staying in our cabins.
Each teacher/student group participates in one of two intensive workshop options. Participants spend the mornings studying one craft medium, afternoons studying a second medium, and evenings exploring additional media. Craft Center artists and regional artists lead all workshops.
- For a complete information packet, click to download the PDF at the link below.
- Educators may register using the green "Registration Link" below.
Participants may select two workshop options listed below.
- Clay: Experience every aspect of the clay studio. Explore hand building a sculptural mask and wheel throw a variety of pots. Learn about different stages of firing and mix your own glaze. Complete the process with a Raku firing of your work. Create a variety of decorative and functional pieces.
- Glass: Work with a variety of glass processes, tools and equipment. Learn the basics of working with different types glass at various temperatures exploring techniques in torch work, sculpting and blown work. Produce functional and sculptural work.
- Metals: Explore the natural world through metalsmithing, beginning with collection, observation and drawing. Use this information as a guide in creating metal forms using hammers, torches and cold connection techniques. Build skills throughout the week to create a final project drawing inspiration from antique "wunderkammers" or cabinets of curiosity.
- Wood: Gain experience with a variety of woodworking tools including a band saw to create a container. Cut, contour, add additional dimension, texture, and color to your wood using files, rotary tools, and paint. Learn a variety of surface decoration techniques for your vessel and how to preserve wood. Design and build a unique, sculptural box with a lid.
Registration and Additional Information:
- Dates available for this program:
- June 16-21, 2019
- June 23-28, 2019
- Please download the High School Art Intensives 2019 Program Guide for complete information about schedules and options for this program.
- REGISTER ONLINE Please register to reserve your place in the workshops. Payment is not necessary to register, but is expected before or upon arrival.
- REQUIRED INFORMATION PACKET: Each participant MUST complete an "Information Packet" found at this link. Please download the High School Art Intensives 2019 ProgramGuide - the same packet listed under the "Dates" section of this page. The packet contains forms for each participant (educators and students) to complete and return to the Craft Center on or before May 10, 2019.
- For additional information please contact: Gail Gentry, Programs Manager, email@example.com, 931-372-6883.