Summer High School Art Intensives
The Craft Center invites high school art teachers from across the country to bring two of their students to our 2018 summer art intensives. This program presents opportunities for students and teachers alike to spend an entire week creating and learning in our professionally equipped studios and staying in our cabins.
Each teacher/student group participates in one of two intensive workshop options. Participants spend the mornings studying one craft medium, afternoons studying a second medium, and evenings exploring additional media. Craft Center artists and regional artists lead all workshops.
- For a complete information packet, click to download the PDF at the link below.
- Educators may register using the green "Registration Link" below.
Participants may select two workshop options listed below.
- Introduction to Fibers: Learn a variety of techniques to create and design the surface of textiles. Cover basic processes in weaving, surface design and sewing. Use techniques learned to create multiple samples and one finished piece. .
- Introduction to The Glass Studio: Gain experience with a variety of glass techniques. Gather, shape and blow hot glass into paperweights and hollow forms. Fuse and shape sheet glass in the kiln. Form beads and small objects at the torch.
- Bandsaw Boxes: Create a small sculptural box with functional drawers while using a bandsaw to cut wood to a desired shape. Contour, add additional dimension, texture, and color to your wood using files, rotary tools, and paint. Learn a variety of surface decoration techniques for your box and how to preserve wood. .
- Introduction to Casting and Forging: Carve cuttlefish bone to make rings, pendants, or other objects and cast them in bronze or silver. Forge copper into bracelets, file and refine the pieces. If time allows, forge and finish your own spoon
Registration and Additional Information:
- Dates available for this program:June 10-15
- June 17-22
- Please download the High School Art Intensives 2018 Program Guide for complete information about schedules and options for this program.
- REGISTER ONLINE Please register to reserve your place in the workshops. Payment is not necessary to register, but is expected before or upon arrival.
- REQUIRED INFORMATION PACKET: Each participant MUST complete an "Information Packet" found at this link. Please download the High School Art Intensives 2018 Program Guide - the same packet listed under the "Dates" section of this page. The packet contains forms for each participant (educators and students) to complete and return to the Craft Center on or before March 31, 2018.
- For additional information please contact: Gail Gentry, Programs Manager, email@example.com, 931-372-6883.