- Ph.D. Analytical Chemistry, University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
- B.A. State University of New York at Potsdam
Honors and Awards
- 2011 Sigma Xi Tennessee Tech Outstanding Research Award
- 2009 Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award
- 2009 Inducted into the Sigma Xi ‘Scientific Research Society’
- 2004 UTRC Extra Effort Award
- 2003 UTRC Great Job Award (for outstanding performance and contribution)
- 1999 Electrochemical Society Student Poster Award
- Travel Award to Antonio Pistono – Fuel Cell Gordon Conference, Smithfield, RI, July
- Research advisor to Akshay Bauskar – Thrust 2 Poster Winner at Annual TN-SCORE meeting,
Nashville, TN, July, 2012.
- Research advisor to Sai Manohar Goli – Electrochemical Energy Storage and Conversion
Forum cosponsored by TN-SCORE, Knoxville, TN, April 19th, 2012.
- Travel Award to Akshay Bauskar – Electrochemical Society "Energy Technology Division
Student Travel Grant", Boston, MA, October 2011.
- Travel Award to Shilpa Beravelli – Electrochemical Society "Industrial Electrochemistry
and Electrochemical Engineering Division Student Travel Grant", Boston, MA, October
- Travel Award to Akshay Bauskar – Fuel Cell Gordon Conference, Smithfield, RI, July
- Travel Award to Shilpa Beravelli – Fuel Cell Gordon Conference, Smithfield, RI, July
- Research advisor to Antonio Pistono – 2nd place at the AIChE Fall 2009 National Meeting
Poster Session in the Fuels, Petrochemicals, and Energy, Research – 'Supercooled Water
in PEM Fuel Cells', Nashville, TN November 2009.
The PI’s research activities are in the broad area of PEFCs and reflect her diverse
research experiences (in academia, industry and national laboratories) in electrochemistry,
electro-catalysis fabrication, materials evaluation and instrumental analysis.
Recent External Funding
- EPSCoR National Science Foundation, “Components and Devices for Energy Storage and
Conversion,” Co-Thrust 2 Leader, [PI Dr. D. Milhorn], $499,837/5 years (To Tennessee Tech), October ’10 – October
- TTU Faculty Research Grant, “Advanced Direct Formic Acid Fuel Cell Fixture Development,”
PI, $5K, May 2013 – December 2013.
- Powe Award – Oak Ridge Associated Universities, “PEMFC Enhanced Freeze Tolerance—Understanding
Supercooled Water Mobility,” PI, $5K, June 2009 – May 2010.
- National Science Foundation, “RET Site: Research Experience for Teachers in Manufacturing
for Competitiveness in the United States (RETainUS),” Senior Personnel [PI – Dr. M. Abdelrahman], $499,695/3 years, June 2009 – May 2012.
- National Science Foundation, “MRI: Acquisition of XRD Attachments for Extending X-Ray
Lab Capabilities with Temperature and Atmosphere Control,” Senior Personnel [PI – J. Biernacki], $171,083, November 2009 – October 2010.
- TTU Faculty Research Grant, “Direct Formic Acid Fuel Cells—Modeling and Optimizing
Fuel Mass Transport,” PI [co-PI – Dr. V. Subramanian], $8K, September 2009 – August 2010.
Recent Publications and Patents
- Bauskar, A.S.; C.A. Rice, C.A. 'Spontaneously Bi decorated carbon supported Pd nanoparticles
for formic acid electro-oxidation', Electrochimica Acta, 2013, 107, 562.
- Bauskar, A.S.; C.A. Rice, C.A. 'Spontaneously Bi decorated carbon supported Pt nanoparticles
for formic acid electro-oxidation', Electrochimica Acta, 2013, 93, 152.
- Pistono, A.; Rice, C. A.; Lewis, J.; Ramani, V.K. "Subzero Degradation Analysis of
Membrane Electrode Assemblies Modified with Additives." ECS Transactions, 2013, 50(2), 531-537.
- Rice, C.A.; Wieckowski, A.J. 'Electrocatalysis of formic acid oxidation, in Electrocatalysis
in Fuel Cells', in Electrocatalysis in Fuel Cells: A Non and Low Platinum Approach,
Lecture Notes in Energy 9, M. Shao, Editor. 2013, Springer-Verlag. p. 43.
- Rice, C.A.; Bauskar, A;, and Pickup, P.G. 'Recent advances in electrocatalysis of
formic acid oxidation', in Electrocatalysis in Fuel Cells: A Non and Low Platinum
Approach, Lecture Notes in Energy 9, M. Shao, Editor. 2013, Springer-Verlag. p. 69.
- Bauskar, A.S.; Rice, C.A. Electrochimica Acta, "Impact of anode catalyst layer porosity on the performance of a direct formic acid
fuel cell," 2012, 62, 36.
- Pistono, A.; Rice-York,C.A.; Boovaragavana, V. J. Electrochem. Soc. “Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy Detection of Saturation Level in a Frozen
Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cell,” 2011, 158(2), B233-B238.
- Abdelrahman, M.; Rice-York, C.A.; York, J.D.; Sircy, R.; Stowers, C. ASEE, “Two Legacy
Cycle modules in Math and Chemistry for High School Students based on Fuel Cell Technology,”
ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Louisville, KY, June 20 – 23, 2010, AC 2010-778.
- Patterson, T.; O’Neill, J.; Perry, M.; Hagans, P.; York, C.; Zaffou, R. DOE Report “PEM Fuel Cell Freeze Durability and Cold Start Project,” Contract Number: DE-FG36-06GO86042;
May 31, 2007.
- Gupta, N.; York, C.; Needham, J.; Hagans, P.L. ECS Transactions, “Platform for Prototyping of PEM Fuel Cell Designs with Enhanced Cold-Start Performance
and Durability,” 2006, 1(6), 383-388.
- Kameswaran, S.; Zaffou, R.; Suzuki, T.; Hagans, P.L.; Cipollini, N.E.; Perry, M.L.;
York, C.A. “Proton exchange membrane fuel cell catalyst and diffusion layer structure
for increased water storage capacity and improved cold start performance” WO 2010132050,
Nov 18th, 2010.
- Patterson, T.W.; Resnick, G.; Balliet, R.J.; Gupta, N.; York, C.A.; Reiser, C.A.;
Darling, R.M.; Marzullo, J.M.; Meyers, J.P.; “Tailoring liquid water permeability
of diffusion layers in fuel cell stacks.” WO 2009075861, Dec 9th, 2010.
- Masel, R.I.; York, C.A.; Waszczuk, P.; Wieckowski, A. “Fuel Cell Membranes and Crossover
Protection” US 7,569,297, Aug. 4th, 2009.
- Masel, R.I.; Rice, C.A.; Waszczuk, P.; Wieckowski, A. “Fuel cells and fuel cells catalysts.”
US 7,132,188, Nov. 7th, 2006.
- Masel, R.I.; Rice, C.A. “Solids supporting mass transfer for fuel cells and other
applications and solutions and methods for forming.” US 7,108,773, Sept. 19th, 2006.
- Schrooten, J. A.; Schmidt, W. R.; Rice, C. A.; Perry, M. L.; Michels, H. H.; Marzullo,
J. M.; Hagans, P. L. “Freeze tolerant fuel cell power plant with a direct contact
heat exchanger.” US 7,090,940, Aug 15th, 2006.
- Rice, C.; Ren, X.; Gottesfeld, S., “Methods of conditioning direct methanol fuel cells”,
US 6,962,760, Nov. 8th, 2005.
Recent Courses Taught
- CHE 4973/6810: Electrochemical Reaction Engineering
- CHE 4210, Chemical Reaction Engineering
- CHE 3730, Chemical Engineering Operations
- CHE 7490, Advanced Fuel Cell Electrocatalysis
- CHE 6060, Electrochemical Power Sources
Energy Conversion, Electrochemistry, Fuel Cells
Engineering » Energy Sciences
Research activities are in the broad area of Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cells (PEFCs)
and reflect her diverse research experiences (in academia, industry and national laboratories)
in electrochemistry, electro-catalysis fabrication, materials evaluation and instrumental