Below is a quick reference of the controls found here. For a detailed explanation of the controls please download the Web Publisher's Manual.
In the resource tree to your left:
- If there is an arrow to the left of a resource it is a parent resource. Click the arrow to expand the tree and see it's children. Click the name of a resource to open it for editing.
- To organize the left-hand navigation on your pages, drag and drop the resources to your left into the order you'd like them to appear. To put one page below another, drag the resource you wish to be the child and drop it on the resource you wish to be the parent. A rectangle will appear around the resource that will be the parent when you drop it.
- Resources in italics are not published and cannot be viewed outside of the editor.
- are hidden from menus but can be accessed with a direct link.
- The number to the right of the resource name is its ID. If you want to create a redirect with the "is redirect" checkbox you can insert the resource ID of the page to which you want the redirect to go. Redirects to sites outside of tntech.edu can be created by copy/pasting the link from your address bar.
- To create a new page, right-click the resource you want the new page to fall under and select "New Document" from the context menu that appears. To delete a page, right-click the page you wish to delete and select "Delete Resource" from the context menu. Deleted pages can be recovered within a period of time by opening a ticket in the Help Desk.
In the resource editor:
- The page title appears at the top of most pages and also in any left-hand navigation anywhere the resource appears.
- Create rich text content in the editor as well embed files and some multimedia. You can also create and manage tabs with the Tabs Managment button on the far right of the toolbar (just be careful with the backspace key when you're editing inside a tab!).
- Use the controls below the editor to adjust visibility and accessibility of your pages well as enabling Disqus powered comments on a page. Comments require users to sign in with Facebook or a few other gateways and must be approved by a moderator before they will appear on a page. Here's a run-down of the specific controls available:
- published - If this box is checked the page will be accessible on the website. Otherwise it is only accessible in the editor.
- hide from menu - Checking this will prevent the resource from appearing in any menus on the site. If it is published it will still be accessible to anyone who has the link.
- comments enabled - This checkbox turns on the ability for people to post comments at the bottom of the page.
- is redirect - To create a link in your menu that redirects to another page, check this box. You can make it go to a specific resource by simply inserting the resource ID in the content area. The resource ID can be found to the right of it's name in the resource tree to the left. It can also be found on most pages anywhere on the website in the lower right-hand corner of the page in small print. Using the ID of a resource will prevent links from breaking if the resource moves in the site. Links to pages outside of tntech.edu can be copied and pasted from your address bar. If this box is checked and there is rich text in the content area it will cause any links to this page to break.
- alias - This is how the URL appears in the browser. It is automatically created from the page title when the resource is first created but can be changed with this field.
- template - You can change the layout of your page by selecting a template from this dropdown menu. Certain templates will have additional controls that will appear when they are selected. An overview of these options follows:
- default template
- This is the standard layout with left-hand navigation. It will be applicable to most situations.
- photo gallery template
- Create photo galleries by uploading photos into the content area of the page. Select carousel, grid or a stacked list layout. The images are arranged into the selected layout on the live site. Any text is placed above the gallery.
- feature template
- Full-width template with no side navigation. Good for featuring forms or figures.
- images template
- This template has no left-hand navigation and features two large images prominently in the content.
- left image - Upload an image for the left side of the page and give it a caption if you like.
- right image - Upload and caption an image for the right side as well.
- contact template
- This template is a contact us page. It has an "Email Us" form on the right-hand side of the page that will send an email to an address of your choice.
- contact email - The email address form submission will go to.
- custom CSS - For users that are familiar with CSS, we offer the option to write your own CSS styles for your page. You can toggle the rich text editor off with the HTML button on the far left of the tool bar if you'd like to write your markup as well. If you do write custom CSS we ask that you do not target elements outside of the content area. Style only your own content.