FAQs: EXPW Online Master of Arts Degree
Q. How long does the online MA-EXPW program take to complete?
- A. The program can take anywhere from 4 semesters to the maximum time allowed by the College of Graduate Studies, depending on how you chose to take your classes.
Q. Will I have to come to campus in this program?
- A. Students are required to come to campus for the online graduate student orientation at the beginning of their program and then again for comprehensive exams in their last semester of study. Students are encouraged to visit campus if they need one-to-one help from their professor, but it is not required.
Q. How much will the online MA-EXPW program cost?
- A. The cost for all TTU classes can be found on the Bursar’s office website. Please note the fees and costs directly related to online learning.
Q. How many credit hours is the MA-EXPW?
- A. For all concentrations, except Sport Management, the credit hour requirement is 30. Sport Management is a 33 hour program.
Q. What kind of degree will I receive upon completion of the MA-EXPW program?
- A. The degree is a Master of Arts (M.A.) degree. You have the option of several different concentrations: Elementary/Middle Physical Education, Lifetime Wellness, Adapted Physical Education or Sport Management. Students can also chose to take additional classes to receive recommendation for a Tennessee Teaching License.
Q. When can I begin the MA-EXPW program?
- A. Graduate students may begin the program at the start of any semester as long as they have been admitted to the university and completed the required orientation.
Q. What is the deadline for applying?
- A. The College of Graduate Studies has strict application deadlines that can be found on their website. It is best to have your application for admission completed and submitted 4-6 weeks before the semester begins.
Q. Will I need a computer to complete the MA-EXPW?
- A. YES! The MA-EXPW content is on the Internet. You will need to have regular access to a computer in order to access your classes. You are strongly discouraged from trying to complete this program from a tablet or your phone.
Q. What admission test must I take and what is the passing score?
- A. We accept the GRE (Graduate Record Exam) or MAT (Miller Analogies Test) entrance exam scores.
- MAT full standing score is 380 and Provisional standing score is 372.
- An acceptable GRE score is 900 or better on Verbal/Quantitative combined and Analytical Writing 4.0. A student may be admitted provisionally with an Analytical Writing score of 3.5.
Q. What is the minimum GPA requirement for the MA-EXPW program?
- A. Students applying for this program should have an undergraduate GPA of at least 2.5 on the 4.0 scale.
Q. Will I need to purchase textbooks?
- A. You will definitely need to use textbooks in all the online MA-EXPW classes, but there is a rental option available.
Q. How will I know what classes I should take?
- A. All online MA-EXPW students will have an advisor who will help direct them in their class selections. The program of study form that is completed early in the program, will also serve as a guide to class selection. Students are encouraged to contact the advisor prior to registration for guidance/assistance.
Q. Where do I gain access to my registration code (alternate pin)?
- A. The assigned advisor for the MA-EXPW online program will have the code available at the time for early registration according to the university calendar.
Q. What about field experience and internship?
- A. All the MA-EXPW concentrations have a field experience or internship component. The student must sign up for the course and will be guided and monitored in the field experience process by a member of the graduate faculty.
Q. What about graduation?
- A. Tennessee Tech holds commencement ceremonies at the end of Fall and Spring semesters. Graduate students MUST apply for graduation in a timely manner to participate in comprehensive exams and graduation. Graduate students may or may not participate in the ceremony.