Admission to the Teacher Education Program
Office of Teacher Education
College of Education
Tennessee Tech University
Box 5092 • Cookeville, TN 38505
Fax: (931) 372-6286
Email : PEdmonds@tntech.edu
Phone : (931) 372-6407
ADMISSION DEADLINESSpring 2015 Main Campus:
January 23rdSummer 2015 Main Campus:
May 13th Fall 2015 Main Campus:
August 28th Fall 2015 2+2 Program:
STUDENTS WILL NOT BE ABLE TO REGISTER FOR OR OBTAIN PERMITS FOR ANY UPPER DIVISION CLASSES UNTIL THEY ARE FULLY ADMITTED TO THE TEACHER EDUCATION PROGRAM. A PRE-REQ/TEST CODE ERROR WILL BE GIVEN DURING REGISTRATION IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN FULLY ADMITTED.
Beginning January 2, 2016, the GPA and ACT Requirement for admission to the Teacher Education Program will change to meet the new Tennessee Department of Education standards. The requirement will be raised from an inclusive GPA of 2.50 to an inclusive GPA of 2.75. The ACT requirement will be lowered from a composite score of 22 to a composite score of 21.
Undergraduate students who will not meet the new GPA requirement of 2.75 by January 2, 2016 will need to have their application for admission to the Teacher Education Program submitted by January 1, 2016 in order to still be considered for the old requirements. Please be aware, if you choose to fall into the old GPA requirement of 2.50, the ACT composite score of 22 will also still apply. All other requirements must be on file with the Office of Teacher Education by January 22, 2016 to be fully accepted with the old requirements.
If you have questions regarding this change and how it could possibly affect your status in the program, please contact your advisor.
All students (including non-degree seeking) who are pursuing teacher licensure must be admitted to the Teacher Education Program.
The requirements for admission to the Teacher Education Program will differ depending on your program path.
Please be sure to follow the requirements that apply to you in the correct section below. If you are unsure of which requirements you need to follow, please check with your academic advisor.
- The undergraduate admission process applies to students pursuing a bachelor’s degree and transfer students that received the AS or AAS Degrees from a community college.
- In order to obtain full admission to the program, you must complete all requirements for undergraduate admission.
- Click here to view Undergraduate Admission Requirements
AST Degree Requirements
- Students who completed the AST (Associate Science in Teaching) Degree through a community college will have completed some requirements previously in order to obtain their AST degree.
- In order to complete full admission to the Teacher Education Program at Tennessee Tech University students must show proof of having been awarded the AST Degree (this will be listed on official transcripts) as well as complete the requirements for admission with an AST Degree.
- Click here to view the AST Degree Admission Requirements
- A post-baccalaureate student is someone who already has a bachelors or higher degree.
- Post-baccalaureates are allowed to take up to 12 undergraduate hours during their first attending semester OR up to 9 graduate hours during their first attending semester without being fully admitted to the program.
- The application, interview process, and background check are required BEFORE registration of the first attending semester.
- A post-baccalaureate student will have only ONE semester to complete ALL requirements for admission to the Teacher Education program.
- Click here to view the Post-baccalaureate Admission Requirements
Have a Question about Admission to the Teacher Education Program?
- If you have a question regarding your GPA, upper division course registration, the interview process, testing requirements, or the background check process, please review our admission to Teacher Education frequently asked questions page by clicking here.
Courses Requiring Admission to the Teacher Education Program
- To view courses that require admission to the Teacher Education Program, please click here.