Office of Teacher Education
Office of Teacher Education
College of Education
Tennessee Tech University
Cookeville TN 38505
Applying for an Initial Apprentice Teaching License
The application paperwork for an Initial Apprentice Teaching License must be submitted by your university. The Tennessee Tech University (TTU) Office of Teacher Education processes this application for students completing licensure programs at TTU.
NOTE: Student teachers or students completing Residency I & II should NOT complete this form until instructed to do so. You will receive information about when to complete the form during your final semester.
The Application Process
Begin the process by completing and submitting your information through the online form (see online Application link on the right side of this page).
After your information is submitted the TTU Office of Teacher Education will process your submission. An application and transcript request form will be generated using the information you submitted.
Please Note: The application form and transcript request form must be printed, signed, and returned to the TTU Office of Teacher Education. Undergraduate students will be given further information during their final semester regarding this requirement.
- The TTU Office of Teacher Education must have original forms to submit your license. Fax and/or email copies will not be accepted.
- An official copy of your Praxis scores must be on file at TTU before your application paperwork is submitted to the Tennessee Department of Education.
- Applications cannot be processed until all grades and degrees are posted.
- Once the semester ends, students should allow a minimum of 4 weeks for applications to be submitted to the Tennessee Department of Education.
The Tennessee Department of Education has information regarding their processing time, Highly Qualified Status, and printing of applications on their website, please CLICK HERE.
- Highly Qualified Status is submitted or updated by a school system, not the University.
Already have a Bachelor’s degree and want an initial teaching license?
Tennessee Technological University post baccalaureate program is designed for individuals who already hold a Bachelor’s degree, but not a teaching license. The program has a number of endorsement areas and includes endorsements for Grades PreK-3, K-6, 4-8, K-12 and 7-12. Check out the full list of endorsements available through the program here.
Quick Facts about the Program
- May be completed as a full time or part time student.
- Upon completion of all program requirements students are recommended for a Tennessee Apprentice Teaching License
*Please note you must submit an official copy of all transcripts to the Office of Teacher Education for the analysis process, EVEN IF you have already submitted transcripts to the Admissions Office or the Graduate Office at TTU .
2. Students in the post baccalaureate program must be admitted to the University and the Teacher Education Program. Please review the Teacher Education admission requirements here. Information on admission to the University is located on the Undergraduate Admissions page. Additionally, students pursuing a master’s degree plus licensure must be admitted to the Graduate School.