TTU Academic Advising Handbook - Coming soon!
Academic Advising Council - The Academic Advising Council serves to provide a forum for Student Success Center directors and others involved in Academic Advising to discuss various advising initiatives, their implementation, and policies and procedures that impact academic advising. The Academic Advising Council will also support and advocate for excellent academic advising across campus while supporting Tech's Strategic Plan Focus Area 1: Improving the Undergraduate Student Experience by improving academic advising.
Simone McKelvey, Director of Advisement & Retention Services
Chris Kohl, Director of Student Success Center, College of Agriculture & Human Ecology
Julie Baker, Associate Dean, College of Education
Edith Duvier, Director of Student Success Center, College of Arts and Sciences
Julie Galloway, Director of Student Success Center, College of Business
Harry Ingle, Director of Student Success Center, College of Engineering
Jeannie Smith, Director of Student Success Center, College of Interdisciplinary Studies
A representative from The Whitson-Hester School of Nursing Advising Center
A representative from Athletic Advising
A representative from the Pre-Professional program
This body of advisors is dedicated to the development, promotion, and scholarship of academic advising on Tennessee Tech’s campus. Faculty and professional advisors alike are welcome to attend any of these monthly forums.
NACADA Resources - The Global Community for Academic Advising
The purpose of the National Academic Advising Association is to promote the quality of Academic Advising in institutions of higher education, and to this end, it is dedicated to the support and professional growth of academic advising and advisors.
The National Academic Advising Association was created after the first National Conference on Academic Advising in 1977, was chartered in 1979, and now has over 10,000 members representing all 50 states, Puerto Rico, Canada, and several other countries (NACADA website, 2014).
NACADA's mission is to promote student success by advancing the field of academic advising globally. NACADA provides opportunities for professional development, networking, and leadership for our diverse membership.
NACADA's website is a comprehensive resource for faculty advisors, professional advisors, and administrators. Those resources include:
- Clearinghouse of Academic Advising Resources: A collection of academic advising articles and information by related topics.
- Professional Development Opportunities: NACADA hosts several conferences, institutes and other seminars at reduced rates for members.
- For those interested in publishing through NACADA, check out this link.
- Research Resources: NACADA also supports and encourages members to conduct research related to academic advising and student success.
- Academic Advising related Publications: NACADA publishes a biannual, refereed NACADA Journal; a quarterly publication, Academic Advising Today; and books and other monographs on Academic Advising. The NACADA Store also has a variety of resources available, such as DVDs.
The Mentor: An Academic Advising Journal - The Mentor: An Academic Advising Journal is a peer-reviewed scholarly publication about academic advising in higher education. The goal of the journal is to provide a mechanism for the rapid dissemination of new ideas about advising and for ongoing discourse about advising issues. Toward this goal, articles in the journal are published continuously. The journal is free and published only online.
Books about Academic Advising - TTU's Library has a number of books related to the scholarship of Academic Advising. Check out these titles and more.
- Comprehensive Advisor Training and Development: Practices that Deliver
- Academic Advising Approaches: Strategies that Teach Students to Make the Most of College
- Advising Transfer Students: Strategies for Today’s Realities
- The New Advisor Guidebook: Mastering Arts of Academic Advising Through the First Year and Beyond
- Academic Advising: A Comprehensive Handbook
- Academic Advising: New Insights for Teaching and Learning in the First Year