We are honored that you've chosen to continue your education at TN Tech, updating and receiving your benefits is not a difficult process. Please follow the guidelines below to begin utilizing your benefit.
Step 1: Update your benefits
If you have used your veterans benefits at another college or university you will need to update your application for veteran educational benefits. It is relatively simple and should only take 15-20 minutes. When you log into your application, you will need to submit a Form 1995 to change your school location. We recommend that you review your address and bank information at this time. You do not have to upload a DD-214 or any documents.
Once the updated application is submitted you should receive a new Certificate of Eligibility (COE) within 3-4 weeks via regular mail. The office of Military and Veterans Affairs will need a copy of that to get you ready to start classes but keep in mind that you DO NOT have to wait to apply to TN Tech or meet with an advisor and choose classes prior to receiving your COE. To update your benefits visit the Vets.gov website at the link below:
Step 2: Submit Documentation to TN Tech Veterans Affairs Office
To certify your enrollment we will need the following documents: ·
1. Copy of your new Certificate of Eligibility ·
2. Most recent DD-214, Member 4 copy preferably (disregard if you are still serving on active duty) ·
3. Copy of your Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) *for Guard and Reserve Members only, check with your Unit Administrator to receive a copy ·
4. Copy of enlistment educational kicker, if applicable ·
5. Certification Request Form (CRF) This is the form you will use to submit classes which you are scheduled for each term to the TN Tech VA Office. It can be found in our office or online at: TN Tech Certification Request Form.
6. Tuition and Fee Deferment Request. This form allows you to defer 100% of the costs of tuition and fees until the end of a term rather than paying up front. This form can be found in our office or online at: TN Tech Tuition and Fee Deferment Request Form.
Once all the documents listed above are received, your certifying official here at TN Tech will review your eligibility and ensure that the classes you've chosen are within veterans affairs guidelines and that you have enough benefits remaining to complete the semester. Keep in mind that VA educational benefits will only cover courses required for your degree program.
Step 3: Go To Class
We strongly recommend that you make every effort to not miss class. Please note that a failure for non-attendance will result in a debt on your student account. If you feel as though you may be at risk to fail a course for academic reasons, please contact our office so that we may assist with resources here on campus.
Always notify our office if you make any changes to your schedule or degree program, as that will need to be communicated to the VA to avoid overpayment or underpayment to TN Tech.MGIB-Active Duty (Chapter 30) and MGIB Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) beneficiaries must verify their enrollment on the last day of each month in which they are enrolled. This can be done by calling 1-877-823-2378.