MANUFACTURING and ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY ANNOUNCES A NEW MASTER'S DEGREE
WHAT IS PSM?
Tech's Professional Science Master’s (P.S.M.) with a concentration in Manufacturing Sustainability
MANUFACTURING SUSTAINABILITY AT TENNESSEE TECH
As manufacturing sustainability takes hold across the country, the demand for workforce's' who are trained to identify opportunities for improving processes and preventing environmental waste will increase. An initiative, jointly created by the Department of Energy, Environmental Protection Agency, Department of Labor, Small Business Administration and the Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) of the National Institute of Standards and Technology, has been started to help manufacturers implement Manufacturing Sustainability practices. Already, manufacturers are required to meet demands placed on companies as worldwide awareness of environmentalism increases. Tennessee’s auto manufacturers are already embracing E3 (the three pillars of sustainability; Economy, Energy and the Environment). As a result, there are a number of career opportunities for professionals with these skills and TTU is addressing this need by creating the Manufacturing Sustainability concentration under its Professional Science Master’s degree program.
Manufacturing Sustainability uses an interdisciplinary approach of course delivery by incorporating faculty from across Tennessee Tech’s colleges. This approach will include a business background (courses from the MBA program and taught online) and concepts that are applicable across fields as diverse as, environmental social policy, environmental economics, lean manufacturing and strategy for sustainability and energy management principles. The College of Engineering’s Department of Manufacturing and Engineering Technology provides courses central to the program. This Professional Science Master’s program is designed for graduates of approved STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics)-related undergraduate programs and working professionals from industry.
MANUFACTURING SUSTAINABILITY P.S.M. CONCENTRATION
Sustainable manufacturing, pollution reduction, efficient use of limited natural resources and the minimization of the use of toxic chemicals are growing issues facing today’s manufacturers and managers.
The Professional Science Master’s with a concentration in Manufacturing Sustainability degree program prepares you for a career dedicated to developing technologies to transform resources into goods and services that respond to the basic needs of society and improve human quality of life.
- Undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale from a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) related discipline. Candidates not holding an appropriate baccalaureate degree may be required to complete necessary prerequisite courses prior to admission to the program. Thus, a baccalaureate degree is required for full standing. Applicants that have baccalaureate degrees in a closely related field will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and may be admitted to full standing upon completion of identified background courses. Academic exceptions may be granted in exceptional circumstances for individuals with extensive professional experience or other background that, in the opinion of the admission committee, qualifies the candidate for admission.
- Total of at least 1000 on the verbal and quantitative portions of the GRE ® General Test (GRE) (306 New revised score) along with a 3.5
- Official transcripts from all previously-attended colleges or universities
- Three (3) letters of recommendation from faculty familiar with the academic ability of the applicant.
- International applicants must also meet the English Language Requirement by providing test results on one (1) of the following:
- TOEFL -- 550 minimum (213 computer-based or 79 internet-based)
- IELTS -- minimum base score of 5.5
Graduation requirements are the successful completion of all coursework and the capstone internship, with an overall GPA of 3.0.
|Curriculum Component||Hours Required|
|Major Field Core (courses required of all students in program)||12|
|Concentration (courses specific to the concentration)||15|
|Capstone Project (may be guided or general electives)||3|
To see all of the Required Business Courses, Concentration, and Electives please click on the following link.