What is a data scientist?
"Data scientists are a new breed of analytical data experts who have the technical skills to solve complex problems - and the curiosity to explore what problems need to be solved. They're part mathematician, part computer scientist and part trend-spotter. And, because they straddle both the business and IT worlds, they're highly sought-after and well paid. Who wouldn't want to be one?" - SAS Institute, Inc.
Why consider a career in data science?
- The New Yorker called Data Scientists the "magicians of the Big Data era"
- Computer World labeled data scientists as "arguably one of the hottest jobs on the market"
- The Harvard Business Review labeled "data scientists" as the sexiest job of the 21st century
- The Department of Homeland Security is in dire need of intelligent analysts who interpret information, uncover possible clues, help solve or prevent homeland security-related crimes - so help protect our nation!
- The computer science pipeline is not producing enough data science professionals - so plenty of job opportunities out there!
- According to the 27th edition of the Jobs Rated Almanac, data science is the #6 best job to have in 2015, with an average median income of $124,419.
Why Study Data Science at TTU?
- TTU offers graduate programs (MS and PhD) in Knowledge and Data Discovery
- Opportunities with faculty who have done research with the Department of Homeland Security, National Science Foundation, and the National Institutes of Health
- Opportunities to work in TTU's Knowledge Discovery Lab
- Ties to companies in industry looking to hire our students for data science positions
Here is a link for the Curriculum for Data Science Concentration