WHAT IS MECHANICAL ENGINEERING?
is a very broad field of engineering which deals with almost all of the day-to-day applications. Mechanical engineers deal with anything that has motion - from human body to complex machines. The breadth of mechanical engineering discipline allows students to find career opportunities in a wide variety of industries including automotive, aerospace, consumer products, oil and gas, power generation, appliances, heavy machinery, electronics, robots, healthcare etc. Mechanical engineering is concerned with the design,
analysis, manufacturing and maintenance of mechanical systems and thermal
devices and processes. Some examples of products and processes developed
by mechanical engineers include micro-scale sensors to large aircrafts and spacecrafts, engines and control systems for automobiles and
aircraft, electric power generation machines, lifesaving mechanical devices, and
a wide variety of consumer products.
Mechanical engineering at TTU - Points of Pride
- The mechanical
engineering undergraduate program at TTU is ranked among the top 35 in the
country in terms of undergraduate enrollment.
- TTU mechanical
engineering graduates frequently find employment in many regional and national companies including Nissan, GM, Volkswagen, Eastman Chemical, Mahle, TRW, Denso, Bridgestone, NASA-Marshall etc.
- The program offers a rich offering of elective courses in the areas of thermal and fluids engineering, vibrations and noise
control, mechatronics, machine
designing, manufacturing and materials.
- Experimental learning with capstone projects from industries, lab experiments and participation in national competitions with design teams such
as Autonomous Robots and Baja SAE are the hallmarks of ME program at TTU.
receive personal attention from top-notch department faculty members.
- The TTU BAJA SAE program is the only program in the world to have won the competition 12 times in the history of the competition.
engineering students at TTU will have access to state of the art laboratories. These
laboratories are equipped with the latest equipment, hardware and software. Students enrolled in senior capstone design course have projects that help the students gain hands-on experience. This is helpful when seeking employment in many of the top companies in the nation.
Extra Curricular Activities
The mechanical engineering students are able to participate in
the several extra-curricular activities.
There are several student organizations which are dedicated to certain branches of mechanical engineering. These organizations conduct several industrial visits and seminar sessions throughout the year where experts from industry share their knowledge with the students. Some of the organizations are -
- BAJA SAE
- Formula SAE (FSAE)
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
- Autonomous Robotics Club (ARC)