eBlast for Nov. 17, 2020
- Tuesday, Nov. 17 | TODAY Virtual Employer Spotlight featuring Tennessee State Parks Session #2 | 11am – Noon |Students register in Handshake Events for Zoom Access Info
- Tuesday, Nov. 17 | TODAY Purple Career Readiness Workshop: Am I Career Ready? | RUC Multipurpose Room 11-11:45 am
- Thursday, Nov. 19 | GOLD and PURPLE Career Readiness Workshop: Semester End | RUC Multipurpose Room 11-11:45 am
- Thursday, Nov. 19 | Careers n’ Coffee featuring Barnhart Crane and Rigging | 11am-1pm in Swoops Lobby
- Friday, Nov. 20 | Career Readiness Application DUE Date | Drop completed Career Readiness Applications by our office in the RUC Room 328 by 4:30pm, submit online or email to firstname.lastname@example.org on Nov. 20.
Virtual Walk-In Hours for the Center for Career Development – Wednesday Mornings 9am-noon: Login to your Handshake Account > Click Events next to the Search Bar > Click Virtual Walk-in Hours > Click the link and start your live chat via Teams.
Graduating this Fall? 2020 Registration is open for
- Order of the Engineer: $15.00 covers the cost of the ring, the certificate and the national fee.
- Pledge of the Computing Professional: $10 covers the cost of the pin and certificate.
- Order of the Engineering Technologist: $10 covers the cost of the pin and certificate.
Please bring the exact amount or pay by check. There will be no refunds, although initiates who miss a ceremony for unavoidable reasons may participate in the next scheduled ceremony. If you wish to accept this invitation, please come by Clement Hall 201, no later than noon, Wednesday, Dec. 9, 2020.
Induction into the Professions Ceremony will be held Friday, Dec. 11, 2020 at 3 p.m. in Derryberry Auditorium. Participants need to arrive by 2:45 p.m. Social Distancing will be enforced. Masks Required.
New Faculty Research Seminars
- TODAY Charles Van Neste, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Electrical & Computer Engineering will be presenting A New Wireless: Sending Power Over and Through Surfaces Tuesday, Nov. 17 from 4:30—5:30 p.m. Zoom Link: https://bit.ly/3dkkmz8
The final Golden Eagle Additively Innovative Lecture of the semester features a talk by Professor Ian Gibson of the University of Twente in the Netherlands on “Machine Learning in Additive Manufacturing”. Join us Thursday, November 19, 11:00 – 11:30, Zoom Link: https://bit.ly/2H6tZWA. For more information contact Michelle Davis in the Center for Manufacturing Research at email@example.com.
Looking for another class to complete your next schedule? Take a spring elective with Chemical Engineering! Take a look at the classes below. More information can be found here, or talk to your advisor.
- CHE 4560/6810 - Agile Manufacturing (3 cr hr) Prerequisite: CHE4410 (Design I) or equivalent Instructor: Dr. Bahman Ghorashi
- CHE 4335/6810 - Fuel Cells (3 cr hr) Prerequisite: CHE3010 or ME3210 Instructor: Dr. Cynthia Rice
- CHE 4973/6810 - Membrane Based Gas Separation (3 cr hr) Prerequisite: CHE3111, CHE4131 or equivalent Instructor: Dr. Venkat Padmanabhan
- CHE 6810 - Technical Writing in Research for Engineers (3 cr hr) Prerequisite: Research Results Instructor: Dr. Cynthia Rice
The Colleges of Engineering & Business Present the 2020 iMakerSpace Design & Manufacturing Competition. This open-ended contest gives you the freedom to choose your design concept. Solve a problem, make something functional or let your creativity lead the way. The choice is yours! Feel free to use our machines in the makerspace to manufacture your design. Submissions are due in the iMakerSpace by Monday, Nov. 30, 2020 by 4 p.m. with a short write-up of design.
Rules: 1) submission per entrant | 2) Must be appropriate | 3) Must be submitted by Monday, Nov. 30, 2020 by 4 p.m.
Awards: Best Overall Design | Creative Award | Innovation Award
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns. iMakerSpace 349 Volpe Library
Join the Clay N Hixson Student Success Center SI Leaders Fall Online sessions!
- Tuesdays, 5:30-6:30 PM, CH 407 + Microsoft Teams
- Wednesdays, 4:30-5:30 PM, CH 407 + Microsoft Teams
- Link to Teams Meetinghttps://bit.ly/35rh6A1
- Mondays, 4:30-5:30 PM, CH 407 + Microsoft Teams
- Thursdays, 5-6 PM, CH 407 + Microsoft Teams
- Link to Teams Meeting https://bit.ly/35rh6A1
- Mondays, 7-8 PM CH 410 + Zoom
- Wednesdays, 5-6 PM CH 410 + Zoom
- Link to Zoom Meeting https://bit.ly/32zL3ff
- Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4:30-5:30 PM, Microsoft Teams
- Link to Teams Meeting https://bit.ly/3kvAfFf
- Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3-5:30 PM, Zoom
- Link to Teams Meeting https://bit.ly/3lmCPP3
- VIRTUAL OFFICE HOURS https://bit.ly/3kp34mm
- Wednesdays from 2-4:30 PM
- Fridays from 2-4 PM
Juniors & Seniors - Fall Undergraduate Scholarship Competition - The Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education’s (ORISE) is hosting a research-based scholarship challenge for undergraduate students! The challenge is for students to develop an infographic to communicate the current leading ways to purify drinking water. UNICEF and WHO report that one in three people worldwide do not have access to safe drinking water. Although the United States has one of the safest drinking water supplies in the world, it is an ongoing challenge to protect it. Your infographic could win you a $5,000 scholarship! For more information on this competition, please visit the ORISE website at https://orise.orau.gov/resources/stem/scholarships.html. The competition deadline is Monday, November 30, 2020.
Summer 2021 Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships (SULI) Program (U.S. Department of Energy | Office of Science) The Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships (SULI) Program is now accepting applications for the 2021 Summer Term. Applications are due January 12, 2021 at 5:00 PM ET. Visit ‘How to Apply’ for more information.
Come and join us at Autonomous Robotics Club. Interested in learning about CAD, Linux, Arduino? Just want to work on exciting projects like drones, battle bots, or a robotic humanoid? If any of these interests you, come expand your knowledge and experience through practical means and be a valued part of our ever-expanding team - every Tuesday night at 7 p.m. in Brown 315. Everyone is welcome. And don't forget to join our discord at https://discord.gg/XdBAxtx.
Pi Tau Sigma is offering tutoring to all ME and GBE students on Monday nights from 6-8 p.m. in Brown 206. Tutoring is available for any ME course up to 3000 level, Physics I & II, Math up to Calculus III, Statics, Mechanics and Materials, MATLAB, and Graphics. We ask that if you do plan to come, please let us know to better help you, but it is not necessary. Contact Abbey Ward (email@example.com), Abby Collier (firstname.lastname@example.org ), or the Pi Tau email (email@example.com) for more information.
Share your meeting or event information in the eBlast.
Announcements need to be submitted by 3:30 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays to be included in the eBlast the following day.
Send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Your name,
- Name of the organization, class, department or sponsor
- A contact email to be included in the post
- The date, time and location of the event or meeting.
- Teams or Zoom meeting link – if applicable
- Also related web address and social media link(s) – if applicable