Cynthia Rice, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Chemical Engineering
Highest Degree University: University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
Department: Center for Manufacturing Research
Prescott Hall (PRSC) 448
PO Box: 5077
Hired through the Center for Manufacturing Research, on a tenure-track as an Assistant Professor in Chemical Engineering, Dr. Rice is addressing cost affordability and manufacturability of Energy Materials and Devices for Energy Conversion and Storage.
Specifically, Dr. Rice is conducting research into characterization and function of Polymer Electrolyte Membrane & Liquid Fuel Cells (PEM, Direct Formic Acid, Direct Methanol) – freeze dynamics, mechanical and chemical durability testing, Gas Diffusion Layer influence on PEM performance.
- Ph.D. Analytical Chemistry, University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
- B.A. State University of New York at Potsdam
Honors and Awards
- 2011 Sigma Xi Tennessee Tech Outstanding Research Award
- 2009 Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award
- 2009 Inducted into the Sigma Xi ‘Scientific Research Society’
- 2004 UTRC Extra Effort Award
- 2003 UTRC Great Job Award (for outstanding performance and contribution)
- 1999 Electrochemical Society Student Poster Award
- Travel Award to Antonio Pistono – Fuel Cell Gordon Conference, Smithfield, RI, July 2012.
- Research advisor to Akshay Bauskar – Thrust 2 Poster Winner at Annual TN-SCORE meeting, Nashville, TN, July, 2012.
- Research advisor to Sai Manohar Goli – Electrochemical Energy Storage and Conversion Forum cosponsored by TN-SCORE, Knoxville, TN, April 19th, 2012.
- Travel Award to Akshay Bauskar – Electrochemical Society "Energy Technology Division Student Travel Grant", Boston, MA, October 2011.
- Travel Award to Shilpa Beravelli – Electrochemical Society "Industrial Electrochemistry and Electrochemical Engineering Division Student Travel Grant", Boston, MA, October 2011.
- Travel Award to Akshay Bauskar – Fuel Cell Gordon Conference, Smithfield, RI, July 2010.
- Travel Award to Shilpa Beravelli – Fuel Cell Gordon Conference, Smithfield, RI, July 2010.
- Research advisor to Antonio Pistono – 2nd place at the AIChE Fall 2009 National Meeting Poster Session in the Fuels, Petrochemicals, and Energy, Research – 'Supercooled Water in PEM Fuel Cells', Nashville, TN November 2009.
The PI’s research activities are in the broad area of PEFCs and reflect her diverse research experiences (in academia, industry and national laboratories) in electrochemistry, electro-catalysis fabrication, materials evaluation and instrumental analysis.
Recent External Funding
- EPSCoR National Science Foundation, “Components and Devices for Energy Storage and Conversion,” Co-Thrust 2 Leader, [PI Dr. D. Milhorn], $499,837/5 years (To Tennessee Tech), October ’10 – October ’15.
- TTU Faculty Research Grant, “Advanced Direct Formic Acid Fuel Cell Fixture Development,” PI, $5K, May 2013 – December 2013.
- Powe Award – Oak Ridge Associated Universities, “PEMFC Enhanced Freeze Tolerance—Understanding Supercooled Water Mobility,” PI, $5K, June 2009 – May 2010.
- National Science Foundation, “RET Site: Research Experience for Teachers in Manufacturing for Competitiveness in the United States (RETainUS),” Senior Personnel [PI – Dr. M. Abdelrahman], $499,695/3 years, June 2009 – May 2012.
- National Science Foundation, “MRI: Acquisition of XRD Attachments for Extending X-Ray Lab Capabilities with Temperature and Atmosphere Control,” Senior Personnel [PI – J. Biernacki], $171,083, November 2009 – October 2010.
- TTU Faculty Research Grant, “Direct Formic Acid Fuel Cells—Modeling and Optimizing Fuel Mass Transport,” PI [co-PI – Dr. V. Subramanian], $8K, September 2009 – August 2010.
Recent Publications and Patents
- Bauskar, A.S.; C.A. Rice, C.A. 'Spontaneously Bi decorated carbon supported Pd nanoparticles for formic acid electro-oxidation', Electrochimica Acta, 2013, 107, 562.
- Bauskar, A.S.; C.A. Rice, C.A. 'Spontaneously Bi decorated carbon supported Pt nanoparticles for formic acid electro-oxidation', Electrochimica Acta, 2013, 93, 152.
- Pistono, A.; Rice, C. A.; Lewis, J.; Ramani, V.K. "Subzero Degradation Analysis of Membrane Electrode Assemblies Modified with Additives." ECS Transactions, 2013, 50(2), 531-537.
- Rice, C.A.; Wieckowski, A.J. 'Electrocatalysis of formic acid oxidation, in Electrocatalysis in Fuel Cells', in Electrocatalysis in Fuel Cells: A Non and Low Platinum Approach, Lecture Notes in Energy 9, M. Shao, Editor. 2013, Springer-Verlag. p. 43.
- Rice, C.A.; Bauskar, A;, and Pickup, P.G. 'Recent advances in electrocatalysis of formic acid oxidation', in Electrocatalysis in Fuel Cells: A Non and Low Platinum Approach, Lecture Notes in Energy 9, M. Shao, Editor. 2013, Springer-Verlag. p. 69.
- Bauskar, A.S.; Rice, C.A. Electrochimica Acta, "Impact of anode catalyst layer porosity on the performance of a direct formic acid fuel cell," 2012, 62, 36.
- Pistono, A.; Rice-York,C.A.; Boovaragavana, V. J. Electrochem. Soc. “Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy Detection of Saturation Level in a Frozen Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cell,” 2011, 158(2), B233-B238.
- Abdelrahman, M.; Rice-York, C.A.; York, J.D.; Sircy, R.; Stowers, C. ASEE, “Two Legacy Cycle modules in Math and Chemistry for High School Students based on Fuel Cell Technology,” ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Louisville, KY, June 20 – 23, 2010, AC 2010-778.
- Patterson, T.; O’Neill, J.; Perry, M.; Hagans, P.; York, C.; Zaffou, R. DOE Report “PEM Fuel Cell Freeze Durability and Cold Start Project,” Contract Number: DE-FG36-06GO86042; May 31, 2007.
- Gupta, N.; York, C.; Needham, J.; Hagans, P.L. ECS Transactions, “Platform for Prototyping of PEM Fuel Cell Designs with Enhanced Cold-Start Performance and Durability,” 2006, 1(6), 383-388.
- Kameswaran, S.; Zaffou, R.; Suzuki, T.; Hagans, P.L.; Cipollini, N.E.; Perry, M.L.; York, C.A. “Proton exchange membrane fuel cell catalyst and diffusion layer structure for increased water storage capacity and improved cold start performance” WO 2010132050, Nov 18th, 2010.
- Patterson, T.W.; Resnick, G.; Balliet, R.J.; Gupta, N.; York, C.A.; Reiser, C.A.; Darling, R.M.; Marzullo, J.M.; Meyers, J.P.; “Tailoring liquid water permeability of diffusion layers in fuel cell stacks.” WO 2009075861, Dec 9th, 2010.
- Masel, R.I.; York, C.A.; Waszczuk, P.; Wieckowski, A. “Fuel Cell Membranes and Crossover Protection” US 7,569,297, Aug. 4th, 2009.
- Masel, R.I.; Rice, C.A.; Waszczuk, P.; Wieckowski, A. “Fuel cells and fuel cells catalysts.” US 7,132,188, Nov. 7th, 2006.
- Masel, R.I.; Rice, C.A. “Solids supporting mass transfer for fuel cells and other applications and solutions and methods for forming.” US 7,108,773, Sept. 19th, 2006.
- Schrooten, J. A.; Schmidt, W. R.; Rice, C. A.; Perry, M. L.; Michels, H. H.; Marzullo, J. M.; Hagans, P. L. “Freeze tolerant fuel cell power plant with a direct contact heat exchanger.” US 7,090,940, Aug 15th, 2006.
- Rice, C.; Ren, X.; Gottesfeld, S., “Methods of conditioning direct methanol fuel cells”, US 6,962,760, Nov. 8th, 2005.
Recent Courses Taught
- CHE 4973/6810: Electrochemical Reaction Engineering
- CHE 4210, Chemical Reaction Engineering
- CHE 3730, Chemical Engineering Operations
- CHE 7490, Advanced Fuel Cell Electrocatalysis
- CHE 6060, Electrochemical Power Sources
Energy Conversion, Electrochemistry, Fuel Cells
Engineering » Energy Sciences
Research activities are in the broad area of Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cells (PEFCs) and reflect her diverse research experiences (in academia, industry and national laboratories) in electrochemistry, electro-catalysis fabrication, materials evaluation and instrumental analysis.