Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
A mission of the Department of Computer Science is to be the model at Tennessee Technological University for diversity. Our vision is to be known as a place where diverse faculty, staff, and students are celebrated and encouraged.
We operate under the following guiding principles:
- We advocate for the full engagement, empowerment, and success of underrepresented groups in the Computer Science department, and within the local community.
- We support a diverse and inclusive culture and community.
- We actively recruit underrepresented, diverse faculty, staff, and students.
- We celebrate a diverse and inclusive culture and community.
- We provide outreach to underrepresented groups in regional, national, and global communities.
- To continually reflect on our successes and failures, and identify and adopt the best practices for creating a diverse and inclusive environment.
The department established a committee of faculty, staff, and students in 2018 to a set of objectives and key results to shepherd our committee towards a more encouraging and welcoming climate. Visit the Diversity Committee website.
Through our endowments and donor giving, we have invested time and resources that have enabled faculty and students to attend events such as the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing and the Richard Tapia Celebration of Diversity in Computing. In addition, the Department of Computer Science, in partnership with the Tennessee Technological University Cybersecurity, Education, Research, and Outreach Center (CEROC) established the Women in CyberSecurity (WiCyS) Conference and National Organization. Finally, the department has established a regular seminar series which has brought speakers to present on key issues on diversity, equity, and inclusion in computing.
Lean More About Our Programs Degree Information Top Careers Student Success
Lean More About Our Programs