REU Student's on a field trip to ORNL
REU-IREST: June 3 - August 9, 2019
Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) - Immersive Research in Energy generation, Storage/conversion and power Transmission (IREST)
This NSF REU Site is funded by the Division of Engineering Education and Centers, focuses on providing cutting-edge research in the areas of energy generation (solar, biomass, piezoelectric, generation from salinity gradients, etc.), energy storage/conversion (lithium-ion and lithium-air batteries and formic acid fuel cells) and power grid integration (solar and electric vehicle to grid integration).
- Opportunities to conduct high quality immersive research in the areas of energy generation, storage and power transmission.
- Train top national research talent in key emerging areas of energy, critical for maintaining national preeminence.
- Nurture student professional growth and train them on intelligent research approaches including: maintaining a daily diary, interpreting data and information, effective research outcomes dissemination and ethical decision making.
- Encourage students in energy related careers and to pursue graduate studies through targeted field trips to Oak Ridge National Laboratory, guest seminars by industrial partners and cutting edge research immersion.
- $5,000 stipend for 10 weeks
- On-campus housing included
- Food allowance
- Round-trip travel expenses up to $500
- Research supplies up to $400
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and other related disciplines.
- Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors from 2-year or 4-year institutions.
- Must graduate after September 2019.
- Application form
- Two recommendation letters (at least one from a discipline specific faculty).
These letters can be sent directly by the faculty to email@example.com .
Personal statement on interest in energy related topics and future goals
- Resume (2 pages)
- Applicants need to send the documents in a single zip or pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Energy related cutting-edge immersive research and training
- Intelligent research and professional development seminars and workshops
- Hands-on training with real equipment
- Field trips to Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) and industrial partner sites
- Preparation of research papers and posters
- Picnic and social activities
- Saturday afternoon outreach session
- Solar photovoltaics optical and electrical modeling
- Biomass pyrolysis, renewable and alternative energy resources
- Selectively gas permeable anode flow field for direct formic acid fuel cells
- High-energy-density lithium ion batteries
- Energy harvesting with embedded piezoelectric transducers in additive manufacturing
- Electricity generation from salinity gradients
- Solar heat localization using nano porous medium
- Minimal-energy computational models
- Development of control system for enabling a highly efficient gasoline engine
Dr. Indranil Bhattacharya
Dr. Joseph Biernacki
Mrs. Anysa Milum