- Optimum and Stable Operation: Develop and test algorithms for accurate power system state estimation and control using PMU (phasor measurement unit) measurements for optimum operation; Design real-time stability assessment techniques to be used as load management and load shedding; Power marketing;
- Efficient Integration of Sources and Loads: Design advanced power electronic circuits and techniques for integration of renewable energy sources to power systems and improve power quality;
- Resilient and Secure Communication: Design wireless communication systems to facilitate two way communication between consumers and control centers and to implement real time power market;
- Ageing and Lifetime issues: Age determination based on condition rather than years in service; Estimation of leftover life of critical components (e.g. transformer) in the grid under stressed conditions to permit economical and efficient routing of power
- Accurate Instrumentation: Design of advanced PMUs, smart meters and other instruments;
- Protection against disturbances and threats: Improve protection using digital instrumentation, communication and switch gear; and
- Information Technology Applications:
- Make the grid self-healing from power disturbance events.
- Enable active participation by consumers in demand response.
- Operate the grid resiliently against physical and cyber attacks.
- Provide quality power for 21st century needs.
- Accommodate all generation and storage options in the grid.
- Optimize assets and operate the grid efficiently.