Financial Aid

FAQs on Work Study

Q - What is the federal work-study program?

A federal need-based student work program that you may be eligible for based on your FAFSA results.

Q - How do I apply?

You must file a FAFSA and mark the box "yes" that asks if you are interested in student employment if you qualify.

Q - What determines eligibility?

The results of your FAFSA will tell us if you qualify.

Q - When do I find out where I will be working?

Federal Work Study and UAS Contract day will be held Friday, August 25th in Memorial Gym located on the Quad from 8 :30-4 pm. Please note contracts are handed out according to a schedule based on the first letter of your last name.

Beginning at   

If last name begins with

8:30 a.m.



















12:00 p.m.















Federal Work Study Assignments - If you have a Federal Work Study assignment you will need to bring your current I-9 card. If you have a federal work study assignment and do not have a current I-9 card, please bring the proper documentation to the TTU Human Resources Office, located in Derryberry Hall, Room 156.  To find out what documentation you need, please look at page 3 of the I-9 form, located at this link:  I-9

Students with an academic service scholarship ONLY will not be required to show an I-9 card.

Please make all reasonable efforts to pick up your contract  Friday, August 25th.  

Monday, August 28, 2017 contracts will be handed out in  Jere Whitson Auditorium 8:30 am – 4:00 pm.

**UPDATE**  We'll be in the Jere Whitson Auditorium on Tuesday, Aug 29, 2017 also - 8:30 am - 4:00 pm - Please, if you haven't already, pick up your work contract.

Beginning Wednesday, August 30th contracts will be distributed in the Office of Financial Aid, located in Jere Whitson Room 302 from 8:30-4 pm. The office space is limited and the lines will be longer to pick up your contracts. You are able to pick up your contracts during that first week of class. All contracts must be picked up by Friday, September 1st  at 4:00 pm. 

Q - What kind of job can I expect?

The majority of jobs are on TTU's campus. We do, however, have jobs available at the Crossville, McMinnville, and Smithville offices. If you are interested in a job outside of the TTU campus, please contact the Financial Aid Office directly. Most jobs are clerical in nature. We do not generally assign students to the campus grill, cafeteria or grounds work.

Q - How much will I be paid?

Minimum wage ($7.25/hr currently).

Q - When will I be paid?

The 10th of each month for work done the previous month.

Q - Do I have to work?

No. You can turn down your offer of work-study, but keep in mind-if you do not work you will not be paid by the work-study program. Turning down your work assignment for this year will not jeopardize your eligibility for work-study in future years.

Q - What if I don't like my work assignment?

Once you have picked up your work assignment it will be for both fall and spring semesters. Generally we will not change your work assignment once you have signed your contract. The office you have been assigned to needs your help to do their job, too!

Q - What if I can only work nights or weekends?

Please contact the Scholarship Coordinator at in the Financial Aid Office. We have a variety of departments that need student workers for evening and weekend work. ** PLEASE include your T # on all correspondence with our office! **

Q - Do I need a current I-9 card?

Yes. The I-9 form is required by the Department of Homeland Security for the purpose of Employment Eligibility Verification.  If you do not have a current I-9 card, you will need to present the required documentation to a TTU Human Resources (HR) employee.  The HR Office in Derryberry Hall, Room 156 will be able to assist you in obtaining an I-9 card. Please review the I-9 form to see what documentation you will need. More information provided by our HR department can be found here: