Everything you need to know about Financial Aid at TTU can be found here!

As a new college freshman or a parent of a college freshman, you may have a multitude of questions.  We hope this portion of our website will help resolve some of those questions for you.

Filling out the FAFSA:

The first step in the Financial Aid process is to complete the Free Application for Student Aid at ,  The US Department of Education releases this form for the new award year every October 1st.  You must use your prior, prior tax year information when completing the FAFSA.  What does this mean?  Example:  If you are filling out the 2018-2019 FAFSA, you would use the information from your 2016 Federal Income taxes.  

ALL students must complete the FAFSA using their own and their parent’s financial information from their prior, prior year tax returns.  The ONLY case in which a student doesn't use their parent’s information is if they meet one of these situations (these are guidelines from the federal government, not TTU):  Am I Dependent or Independent?

For further information on the FAFSA process, please follow this link:

YOU MUST have completed the FAFSA in order for us, TTU Financial Aid, to tell the student what aid they are eligible to receive.  If the student has met all the requirements for the HOPE (Lottery) scholarship, the FAFSA must be completed in order to receive this scholarship.

Missing Requirements:

After you have submitted your FAFSA, the Department of Education may require the school to request additional documentation from you.  The TTU Financial Aid Office will email the students at their TTU email address to inform them of missing requirements and direct them to log into their Eagle Online account to see what is required.  REMINDER:  TTU Financial Aid can't complete the Financial Aid awarding process until all requirements are satisfied.

**TIP:  If you don't remember your TTU PIN #, please call the TTU myTECH Helpdesk at (931) 372-3975 and they can assist you.  Please have your TTU ID number (T#) available when you call.

A simple How Do I guide on finding missing requirements can be found at this location:  How to check what requirements you may have


Here are the basic steps to find any requirements you may be missing:

Log in to your Eagle Online account using your Tech ID number (T#) and your Tech PIN # (remember, this is not the federal FSA ID you used to complete your FAFSA).

1.  Access Eagle Online at :


3. Enter your T# and your Tech PIN #

4.  Select the FINANCIAL AID gray tab


6.  Choose AWARD YEAR 2018-2019 and click the SUBMIT button

7.  Select the STUDENT REQUIREMENTS gray tab

For additional FAQ's on Missing Information, please visit:

**TIP:  The earlier you submit your FAFSA, the better.  Some state aid is awarded to students based on who finished their FAFSA first.

Now you know that it is very important to get your FAFSA and any required documentation to us as soon as possible.  If you wait until right before the semester starts - YOU MAY have to come up with an alternate way to pay for school until your FAFSA can be processed!

Now let's discuss the kinds of aid available.

Most common types of Financial Aid:

A grant is a type of financial aid that does not have to be repaid.  There are two basic types of grants:  federal and state.  Eligibility for both types of grants are based on the results of your FAFSA, which once again, can be completed at

Federal Grants include:  PELL and Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG).

The most common State of Tennessee Grants include:  Tennessee Student Assistance Award grants (TSAA) and the TN HOPE Lottery Programs

Important FAQ's regarding the Tennessee State HOPE Lottery:

1)  Why don't I have a HOPE scholarship / grant award on my account?

You may be eligible to receive the HOPE award based on your final high school GPA and we may not have that information yet.  If you believe you are eligible for the HOPE award but do not see it on your account, please e-mail us at, please include your T number in the e-mail so we may properly assist the correct student.  We will check to see if your high school GPA can be verified and your award eligibility can be determined as quickly as possible.

**TIP:  All HOPE recipients must submit a FAFSA in order to receive the scholarship from the State of Tennessee. Also, you must list the TTU school code of 003523 as your first school of choice on the FAFSA.

2)  Why isn't my HOPE scholarship showing as ACCEPTED?

If TTU has received your FAFSA results with TTU as your first school choice, and you qualify academically, your HOPE scholarship should be accepted automatically for you!  If we are missing either your FAFSA results, or if you did not make at least a 21 on the ACT and HOPE eligibility is based on your final HS GPA, we may not have received your final high school transcript.  Please email if you have questions.

Federal Work Study (FWS):

Federal Work Studey (FWS) is an employment program that provides part-time jobs for students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay educational expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the student’s course of study.  FWS funds are not applied directly to your tuition.  You are paid monthly based on hours worked, just like a normal job.

Here’s a quick overview of Federal Work-Study:

It provides part-time employment while you are enrolled in school.
It’s available to full-time or part-time students.
It's a first-come, first-served program (remember - file your FAFSA EARLY!)
It’s administered by schools participating in the Federal Work-Study Program. TTU participates in this program.
Money earned from the FWS program can be used to cover living expenses during the semester.
 The FWS program does not preclude students from seeking other on or off campus employment that is not based on FWS eligibility.  For other on-campus employment, contact TTU department representatives to determine available positions.  We will notify you via your TTU e-mail address of the location and time you may pick up your work study assignment.  We begin handing out work study assignments the Friday before classes start.

**TIP:  In order to be considered for FWS, when you fill out the FAFSA, you simply have to answer “yes” to the question that asks, “Are you interested in being considered for work-study?” Note, this question does not guarantee acceptance into the work-study program.  Still have questions?  Here is a link to additional information from the Department of Education on  Federal Work Study.

Don't forget about completing the I-9 requirement for FWS!  Federal law requires that every employer who hires an individual for employment in the U.S. must complete Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. Form I-9 will help you verify your employee's identity and employment authorization..

Students must appear before a Human Resources employee with completed I-9 paperwork and the required personal documentation in order to receive an I-9 card.  This card is required before you can begin earning wages for the hours you work.  HR employees are available during a specified time of SOAR.  Please check your SOAR schedule for this time and location!  E-mail or call (931) 372-3034 if you have questions about your I-9 or W-4 paperwork.

**TIP:  For a list of the accepted documents in order to get an I-9 card, please look at this .pdf document:  I-9 acceptable documents.pdf


Most students are eligible for some type of student loan, provided they are enrolled at least half-time and not in default on any outstanding student loans.  To apply for a loan, fill out the FAFSA application at (see - it's important!). Loans available to Tennessee Tech students include the Federal Direct Stafford loan, and the Federal Direct PLUS loan for parents of a dependent student.

For additional questions regarding loans, please visit the Loan portion of our website:  LOANS and we also have a LOAN FAQ page:  FAQs .

Outside / External Scholarships:

These are any scholarships not awarded to you by Tennessee Tech.  Examples include community scholarships such as those from your local high school, rotary club or church.  These can also be scholarship reimbursements from your parent's employer or from your service with AmeriCorps.  For questions concerning these scholarships, please see our FAQ page on scholarships: Outside / External to TTU Scholarships .

If you received a scholarship of this type, we need the letter or certificate you received stating the award name and the amount of the award.  This information can be sent to us via fax at (931) 372-6309 or e-mailed to us as a .pdf attachment (.pdf format only please) to  Please be sure to put the student's full name and T# on all documentation and in every e-mail so the scholarship gets deposited to the right account!  If you send us only the documentation of the award, we still must get the actual check before the money can be used by the student to pay for tuition, etc.  Please bring the check to the Financial Aid Office or have the scholarship donor mail it us at the address below:

TTU Financial Aid Office

Attn:  Outside Scholarship

PO Box 5076

Cookeville, TN 38505

Now that we've given you all of the above information - let's discuss how you can ACCEPT your awards on your Eagle Online account:

Accepting Awards on Eagle Online:

You may accept any awards in the OFFERED status by logging into Eagle Online at .

To view your financial aid awards, please go to Eagle Online and log in, using your T# and TTU PIN #.  For important information that may affect your continued eligibility for financial assistance, please click on the following link or copy and paste into your browser's address bar: .

To view your awards, follow these easy steps!

1)  Access Eagle Online at:


3)  Enter your T# and Tech PIN #

4)  Select FINANCIAL AID gray tab

5)  Click on AWARD


7)  Choose AWARD YEAR 2018-2019 and click the SUBMIT button

8)  Click on ACCEPT AWARD OFFER gray tab

**TIP:  Only awards in an OFFERED status are required to be accepted by the student!

Once we begin processing loans with the federal government, approximately 24 business hours after accepting a loan, you will see an Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note requirements.  Follow the links within Eagle Online to complete both of these requirements.  Our office will receive confirmation that these requirements are complete within 2 to 3 business days and our system will be updated to show the requirements have been completed.

What is Entrance Counseling?

If you have not previously received a Direct Loan or Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL), the Federal Government requires you to complete entrance counseling to ensure that you understand the responsibilities and obligations you are assuming.

If you are completing entrance counseling to borrow a loan as an undergraduate student, then the entrance counseling will fulfill counseling requirements for Direct Subsidized Loans and Direct Unsubsidized Loans.

What is a Master Promissory Note?  

The Master Promissory Note (MPN) is a legal document in which you promise to repay your loan(s) and any accrued interest and fees to the U.S. Department of Education. It also explains the terms and conditions of your loan(s). Unless your school does not allow more than one loan to be made under the same MPN, you can borrow additional Direct Loans on a single MPN for up to 10 years.


There are a few different kinds of discounts that can apply toward a student's tuition:  State Employee, TN Public Teacher and TBR Dependent discounts. Discount forms can be accessed from the following location: under the Tuition Discount and Fee Waiver section.

TN State Workers and Licensed TN Public School teachers receive a 25% discount off maintenance fees.  TBR Dependents may receive up to a 50% discount off maintenance fees.  You may submit this form to us starting July 15th for the fall term.   A new form MUST be submitted before every semester and should be signed no more than 30 days prior to the start of the semester.  Please be sure to read the guidelines for any discount you believe you are eligible to receive.  

For questions regarding discounts, please e-mail us at and put DISCOUNTS in the subject line.  You can also call us about discounts at this number (931) 372-6733.  Discount forms can be faxed to us at (931) 372-6309 or e-mailed to us as a .pdf attachment (.PDF format only, please).

**TIP:  Don't forget to always include your T# in all correspondence with us!  That includes at the top of every form and in every email!

Experience Tech For Yourself

Visit us to see what sets us apart.

Schedule Your Visit