So you have been awarded an outside scholarship by a church, civic organization, your high school, business, private donor, foundation or any number of external agencies - Congratulations! Billions of dollars are earned by college students every year across the country.
The goal of this section is to provide you a step by step guide on how to notify the Tennessee Technological University (TTU) Office of Financial Aid about your outside/external/private scholarship. Federal regulations require that you notify the University regarding all externally funded, meaning not awarded by TTU, scholarships and we want to make sure all federal regulations are followed!
Scholarship Scams: Every year, several hundred thousand students and parents are defrauded by scholarship scams. Be wary of scholarships with an application fee, scholarship matching services who guarantee success, advance-fee loan scams and sales pitches disguised as financial aid “seminars”. We have included a few free scholarship search websites at the bottom of this page.
HOW TO SUBMIT SCHOLARSHIPS NOT ADMINISTERED BY TTU
If you (as the student) receive a scholarship check from a private entity:
- Please submit the scholarship check to the TTU Financial Aid Office immediately upon receipt by the donor. Checks should be submitted no later than August 1 for the fall term, December 15 for the spring term, and April 15 for the summer term in order for them to be processed by the first Fee Payment Deadline. Checks submitted after those dates may not be applied in time to assist you with bill payment. Please be aware that you are required to notify the Financial Aid Office at TTU whether or not the award is paid to you directly by a donor, or through the university. You are responsible for ensuring that your TTU Financial Aid reflects all scholarship funds that you receive. This is important to ensure that no one inadvertently violates federal regulations regarding total eligibility for other forms of financial aid. When you receive notification of any award from a donor other than TTU, please immediately notify the TTU Financial Aid Office.
- Make sure the scholarship check has your name and TTU ID (your T#) listed on the Memo at the bottom of the check. If you go by a nickname or your middle name, be sure to provide your legal first name.
- Check to see whether the check is written just to TTU, or to both TTU and you. If your name is included in the "Pay to the Order of" line, you will need to endorse the check by signing the back of it.
- Make a copy of your award letter or any information included with the scholarship check (such as a check stub). We will need a copy of this information, but you should also keep a copy for your records. Then, remit to the TTU Financial Aid Office.
For Donors who wish to send scholarship checks directly to TTU:
- Please ask the scholarship donor to note the students name and TTU ID (your T#) number in the Memo section at the bottom of the check, or in an accompanying letter. If the student goes by a nickname or a middle name, ask the donor to be sure to use the students legal first name.
- The check should be made payable to TTU. If the check is made to both TTU and the student, the student will need to endorse the check by signing the back of it. This may delay the award, as we will have to contact the student and ask them to come to campus and sign the check. If the donor must make the check out to the student, please follow the instructions above for sending the check to TTU.
- The donor should include a copy of the award letter, or a cover letter with any instructions we must follow. For example, they will need to address whether the scholarship is intended to be applied entirely to the fall semester, or to be split between fall and spring.
- The donor should include a contact person's name, phone number, and email address in case we have questions about the scholarship or its requirements. Then, remit to the TTU Financial Aid Office.
- If requested by the donor, we will mail a letter to the donor, confirming that the scholarship was applied. During particularly busy times of the year such as the months of July, August, and January, the receipt letter will be sent approximately one month after the scholarship check is applied. During other months, the receipt letter will generally be sent within two weeks after receipt of the scholarship check.
Scholarship checks and any accompanying paperwork or information should be mailed to: TTU Office of Financial Aid, Attn: Outside Scholarship Coordinator, Box 5076, Cookeville, TN 38505. If you plan to deliver a scholarship letter or check in person, bring it to the TTU Financial Aid Office located in the Roaden University Center (RUC), 2nd floor, Room 208. **We are moving in the summer of 2017 to the Jere Whitson Building, 805 Quadrangle (on the Quad!).
HOW SCHOLARSHIPS ARE APPLIED TO YOUR STUDENT ACCOUNT
- We will apply the scholarship to your account in approximately two business days. Delays due to issues such as a missing signature can occur and we will notify you via your TTU email address. Cost of Attendance (COA) over-award issues may also delay the processing time.
- Through the last day of the fall term: the scholarship will be divided into two equal portions for fall and spring unless the scholarship donor provides alternate instructions.
- After the last day of the fall term: the full scholarship amount will apply to the spring semester unless the scholarship donor provides alternate instructions.
- You will be able to see your award when you access your Eagle Online account once it has been applied.
- If you don't see the scholarship applied to your TTU Eagle Online account as quickly as you expect, please check with the donor to determine when the check was mailed. Allow at least two weeks from this date for the check to arrive and be processed. (Please note that many scholarship donors do not release scholarship checks until after the semester begins!)
- We will generally apply the scholarship to your account within two business days after receiving it from the donor. If we experience delays due to issues such as a missing signature, we will notify you via your TTU email address.
- Some donors require enrollment verification or an official copy of your billing statement before they will issue payment; any such requirements are your responsibility to complete. There are self-serve functions available on your TTU Eagle Online for the purpose of fulfilling these common donor requests.
- Enrollment Verification can be accessed through your Eagle Online account. Information about obtaining this information can be found on the TTU Office of Registrar's website under Enrollment Verification. If the most current term’s data has not yet been uploaded by the National Student Clearinghouse, this function may not work as intended. If you receive an error message, contact the TTU Records Office.
- A copy of your official billing statement, which includes financial aid details as well as your class schedule, may be accessed through your Eagle Online account, the Student tab, then the Student Accounts option. For questions about billing, please look at the Bursars website. They also have frequently asked questions and provide tutorials on how to access these type of options: Bursar Office FAQs and Tutorials
- If the donor gives you a form (asking for financial aid data, enrollment verification, etc), that information can be found on your Eagle Online account (TTU Shopping Sheet).
- We will generally divide the scholarship into two equal portions for fall and spring, unless the scholarship donor provides alternate instructions in an accompanying letter.
- You will be able to see your award when you access your Eagle Online account once it is applied.
If you have further questions about an outside / external scholarship check and the process - please stop by our office and see Claudette Venters, call her at 931-372-3509 or e-mail her at the following link: email@example.com.
**PLEASE ensure your T # is on all documentation and in your Email! We want to make sure your award is posted to the correct student!