Curtiss Brock, Professor
Phone: 931-372-6878 | Email: email@example.com | Office: Appalachian Center for Craft / Glass Studio / www.curtissbrock.com
MFA in Sculpture, University of Illinois.
Brock's work and approach to glass is greatly influenced by working and teaching at the Pilchuck Glass School, where he met and worked with Dale Chihuly, Lino Tagliapietra, and Stanislav Libensky and other well established glass artists. The experience provided him a broad understanding of glass from a worldwide perspective that informs his teaching. The core glass curriculum focuses on developing a strong foundation of technical skills in both hot and cold glass. Brock's deep commitment to teaching students how to make a living practicing their craft is one factor that separates his undergraduate program from many others in the country. Brock has led the glass studio since 1994.
Brock designs limited edition and production lines under the studio name CB Glass. His work is on display in over 25 national and international museum collections and he has exhibited his work in the top retail craft shows in the nation. These experiences have enabled him to integrate the ideas, concerns, and considerations surrounding a small production company into his teaching curriculum.
- Two National Endowment for the Arts grants.
- Southern Arts Fellowship grant.
- State of Tennessee Individual Artist Fellowship
- NICHE Arts Educator of the Year, 2009
- Presidents Award, Magic City Art Connection
- Invited participant, International Glass Symposium
- Best of Show, Countdown 2001
- Shimono Sake Museum Prize, International Glass Now Competition, 1998