Academic Fresh Start
Graduate Academic Fresh Start is a plan of academic forgiveness provided for graduate students who have gained maturity in learning through extended experience outside higher education institutions. The Academic Fresh Start allows the calculation of the quality point average and credit hours toward graduation to be based only on work done after returning to college.
The terms of Fresh Start are:
- Once the student has satisfied the described requirements below, the institution may grant the Academic Fresh Start. The student may be granted Academic Fresh Start only once.
- The student’s permanent record will remain a record of all work; however, the student will forfeit the use for degree or certification purposes all college or university degree credit earned.
- The student must change graduate program, not just concentration.
- The student must provide written justification for the request.
- The student must submit a change of major and any required admission documents for the new program.
- The student’s file will be evaluated by the new program.
- The approval if contingent upon acceptance by the department, academic dean, and the Office of Research and Graduate Studies.
- The student must maintain at least a 3.0 GPA in all courses and must adhere to all policies and procedures indicated in the Graduate Catalog.
- All previous attempted courses taken as a graduate student will be marked as Fresh Start. None of these courses, including transfer credit, will be used in the calculation of the GPA or for completion of another degree.
- Prior courses cannot be used to satisfy requirements for the new program.
The form to be completed may be located here