List of Figures
Figures in your document
- Use Times New Roman for text in the figures. Use size 12 where able, but 10 or 11 size may also be used to fit text within the figure. Line spacing within a figure should be single-spaced.
- All figures must be labeled below the figure like Figure 1: Title or caption of the figure; your figures are numbered sequentially as they occur in your paper beginning with 1. The label is considered part of the figure, so it follows the guidelines of the bullet above.
- Figures should be placed after the paragraph where they are first mentioned unless that splits the figure across two pages. Instead of splitting the figure, insert the figure at the beginning of the next page after it is first mentioned. If your figure is so large it must be split across multiple pages, type Figure 1 (Continued) at the top of the next page.
- References in your text to figures must reference a specific figure and number: "As demonstrated in Figure 3..." Do not use, "As demonstrated in the following figure...."
- If your figure needs to be rotated because it is too large, rotate just the figure with the top of the figure at the 1.5" margin side.
List of Figures page
- Required if there are two or more figures in your document including the appendices.
- Type List of Figures on the top line. Be sure to label this title as a page title heading to format it properly. See Content/Chapters for more information about headings.
- Leave the next line blank.
- Type Page (#), tab once, type Figure 1: Title or caption of figure one.
- If your page number is a single digit, you will need to tab twice so that all figure names are aligned.
- List each figure on a new line.
- If your title/caption is so long it goes onto another line, indent that line to match where all figure names start.