International students applications for admission to the Graduate School must be filed at least 6 months in advance.
Midyear enrollment is strongly discouraged. All students from non-English-speaking countries must submit proof of adequate training and ability in the use of English as evidenced by a satisfactory score on recognized and acceptable tests administered in the student's home country.
International students from non-English speaking countries must submit satisfactory scores on either the TOEFL, IELTS, PTE Academic, FLS International Language Center, ELS Language Centers, TOEIC, CEFR, or SLEP exams.
Official Test Score Reports Required for Admission to TTU
|All International Students||Score at least|
|TOEFL--Education (Master's and Ed.S. levels) and Arts & Sciences||525 paper-based (71 iBT)|
|TOEFL--Education (Ph.D. level), Engineering, M.B.A. and Nursing||550 paper-based (79 iBT)|
|FLS International Language Center--Arts & Sciences, MBA, Education (Ph.D. level), Engineering||Level 8|
FLS International Language Center--Education (M.A., Ed.S. level)
|PTE Academic--Education (Master's and Ed.S. levels) and Arts & Sciences||48|
|PTE Academic--Education (Ph.D. level), Engineering, MBA, and Nursing||53|
|TOEIC--Education (Master's and Ed.S. levels) and Arts & Sciences||690|
|TOEIC--Education (Ph.D. level), Engineering, M.B.A. and Nursing||750|
|SLEP--Education (Master's and Ed.S. level) and Arts & Sciences||55|
|SLEP--Education (Ph.D. level), Engineering, M.B.A. and Nursing||58|
|GRE, GMAT, or MAT||Specific test and score as required by the individual departments/colleges For the specific test scores required, please see the program you are interested in under the section \"Degree Programs\" on our home page|
*Note: If admitted to the Graduate School such students may have as a condition attached to their admission the requirement of an additional examination to test English proficiency. If the examination reveals that the student does not possess an adequate command of English, the student will be required to enroll in noncredit remedial English courses (ESL 1010-20) and will be required to reduce the graduate course load accordingly.
All applicants for admission must meet the following requirements:
- Verification of adequate financial support from parents or sponsors, including the amount and length of time funds will be provided.
- Verification of sponsor's ability to provide support from a financial institution where funds are on deposit.
- Submission of 3 letters of recommendation (true letters preferred over the PDF form). Only one letter of recommendation is required for the MBA program.
- Submit Official transcripts: Bachelor's degree and any institutions attended since that time. Official transcripts are sent directly from the institution to Tennessee Tech, not submitted by the student. International students may submit attested transcripts.
- Submit Student Health Form: The following vaccinations are required:
- TWO doses of the MMR vaccine
- TWO doses of the Varicella (chicken pox) vaccine
- Negative result on a TB skin test. Test must be taken within 6 months prior to registration
Non-immigrant students already in the U.S. must submit the following additional documents:
- Photocopy of passport
- Photocopy visa
- Photocopy of I-94
- Photocopy of all previously issued I-20s
- Complete the International Student Advisor Report Form
A lawful permanent resident of the United States (holder of a "green card") may be required to take the English Placement Test or other tests to determine proficiency in English and the necessity for taking courses in English.
All application materials become the property of the University and will not be returned to the applicant regardless of whether admission is approved or denied.
If you have any questions, please contact:
Graduate Admissions Office
Phone: (931) 372-3808
To begin your admission process learn HOW TO APPLY