Apply to become an Honors 1010 Peer Mentor: be the bridge between new Honors students and our faculty
Peer Mentors are Honors students who volunteer their time and effort to help make an Honors class a more meaningful experience. Peer Mentors assist the professor during classes and lead out-of-class activities. Each spring semester, we send out a call and post an application form for peer mentors.
Honors 1010 peer mentors are supervised by Dr. Barnes with the assistance of an appointed Peer Mentor Coordinator. 2013 peer mentor application
Peer Mentor Coordinator Duties
- Collect, review, and file peer mentor weekly reports from each section of HON 1010.
- Maintain and update Hon 1010 binders
- Work with Dr. Barnes to plan and lead Peer Mentor training sessions.
- Support planning and preparation for the Honors Freshman retreats; participate in at least one major retreat as assigned, and staff all retreats.
- Assist with the Peer Mentor application and scheduling processes as needed.
- Send out weekly reminders and announcements to Peer Mentors and Honors 1010 professors on Friday regarding deadlines and requirements for the coming week.
- Field routine questions about Honors 1010 from Peer Mentors.
- Meet weekly with Dr. Barnes to clarify and improve Peer Mentor effectiveness.
- Create distribution lists for Peer Mentors, for Honors 1010 professors, and for each class section.