One of the most popular benefits offered to Honors students at Tech is the opportunity to live in
Murphy Hall, the Honors residence hall.
- Murphy was renovated and refurbished in 2016. Besides the new flooring, carpeting, doors, paint, and furnishings throughout, there are new laundry facilities, a kitchen, study rooms, a seminar room, a re-decorated main lobby recreational area with television and pingpong, an additional quiet lounge, and a meeting room. Outside, you'll find hammock stands.
- Murphy's Honors Housing Roommate Matching system is designed uniquely by and for Tech Honors students.
- Rooms include two-person and three-person rooms, single rooms and "super" single rooms with full-size beds.
Interested in living in Honors Housing? Read the section that applies to you:
- RETURNING Honors Students: See the information directly below.
- NEW Honors Students: Scroll down to the section entitled "For New Students."
FOR RETURNING STUDENTS:
In order to live in the Honors residence hall, you need to maintain eligibility. This means that you must take and pass at least one Honors credit-bearing requirement each semester until you have completed all requirements for graduating in cursu honorum.
If you are currently residing in Honors Housing, or if you are a returning Honors student wishing to move to the Honors residence hall from another (non-Honors) residence hall, follow the procedures below.
- Fill out a new TTU Residential Life housing application. The form can be found on the Residential Life website. Please make sure to note that Murphy Hall is your first choice for housing.
- The DEADLINES for receipt of application materials from RETURNING students will be announced by Residential Life (check your email for updates).
- IF you don't have a specific roommate in mind, you need to fill out the Honors Roommate Matching Form. The Honors staff will match and assign roommates subject to verification of eligibility.
- If you want to request a roommate in Murphy, both of you must also be Tech Honors students.
- Placement decisions will also be affected by the number of available male and female rooms.
Returning students who submit materials by the deadlines will be accepted into Honors Housing in the following order of priority:
1.Qualifying returning students already in Honors housing who want to keep the same room
2.Qualifying returning students already in Honors housing who want a new room assignment
3.Qualifying returning Honors students not currently living in Honors housing
Types of rooms and room rates:
Please check the Residential Life website for rates for the following types of rooms: two-person rooms, three-person rooms, single rooms, and “super” single room with full-size bed.
1.The Honors Housing Roommate Online Matching Form (OPTIONAL: return this form to the Honors office by March 21st ONLY if you are a returning student in need of roommate matching)
2.The Residential Life Application and Deposit (Online; please make sure to note that Murphy Hall is your first choice for housing and to follow the deadlines provided by Residential Life)
FOR NEW STUDENTS:
Murphy Hall is reserved for Honors students.
- Unless your application to Honors has been accepted, you will not be placed in Honors Housing.
- In order to continue living in Honors Housing, you need to maintain eligibility. This means that you must take and pass at least one Honors credit-bearing requirement each semester until you have completed all requirements for graduation in cursu honorum.
Types of rooms and room rates:
- Please check the Residential Life website for rates.
- The following types of rooms are available: two-person rooms, three-person rooms, single rooms, and “super” single room with full-size beds.
The Fall 2018 deadline for applying for Honors Housing will be July 31, 2018. Applications received after this date may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- If you want to live in the Honors residence hall, you must indicate "Murphy Hall" as your first choice on the TTU Online On-Campus Housing Application form.
- Room assignments in Honors Housing are made by the Honors staff. Any specific requests (e.g. type of room, a specific roommate, etc.) must be made on the Honors Housing Roommate Matching Form.
- Freshmen wishing to reside in Honors housing must submit BOTH applications: a) the TTU Online On-Campus Housing Application, AND b) the Honors Housing Roommate Matching Form.
- Housing assignments in the Murphy Hall are made by matching roommates on compatible characteristics, habits, and preferences, not necessarily in the order received.
- If Murphy Hall Honors Housing is your first choice, be sure to indicate second and third choices on the TTU On-Campus Housing Application, in case Honors Housing is full.
- If you have questions, please contact Dr. Shannon Strahan at email@example.com.
Required Application Materials: