Unit 1 -- Service
Provide 20 hours of service for a person, office or facility on campus. Examples include: working for a professor or a department; at a computer lab help desk, in the Honors Office, at the Volpe Library, Fitness Center; or other campus area.
- Decide where you would like to work, and approach the appropriate person (secretary, faculty member, supervisor). Tell them that you would like to work, that you will work for 20 hours during the semester, and that your services are at no charge to them.
- If you have difficulty finding or deciding on a service placement, contact our HPEO Coordinator, Mrs. Lindsey Roberts, for friendly advice and assistance.
- Once you have identified a service area, arrange a regular weekly schedule with your supervisor. Ask your supervisor to sign the Unit 1 section of the commitment form.
- Decide, with your supervisor, how you will keep track of your hours of service. Plan to complete your service as soon as you can.
- When your service is complete, ask your supervisor to confirm your completion by email. You will need to submit a short paragraph by email describing and commenting on your service assignment.
Unit 2 -- Personal / Professional Development
- For fall semester, your only option for Unit 2 will be 20 hours of activities. For complete information about this option, visit the Activities Info Page.
- During spring semester of freshman year, you will have the option to attend and present at the Tennessee State Honors Conference. If you are interested in this option, you must plan ahead. Watch your email! Dr. Barnes will be soliciting attendees and presenters for the state conference late in fall semester. You should discuss your interest in this option with her before the beginning of spring semester. Attending and presenting at this conference will fulfill completely your Unit 2 requirement.
Unit 3 -- Group Participation / Service
- There are TWO options for this unit: (a) Participate in an ASG committee or group; or, (b) Perform at least 20 hours of community service under the supervision of the University Service Center.
- Each ASG Committee has its own rules for fulfilling participation requirements. If you choose an ASG committee, your name will automatically be forwarded to the chair of that committee. You may receive an email from the chairperson of that committee, but it is your responsibility to make contact with the committee chair and to become aware of the requirements of that committee for fulfillment of HPEO.
The 2018-2019 list of ASG Committee Chairs and their email addresses will be updated after their appointment in the late spring of 2018.
- If you wish to perform community service for Unit 3, you must list as your supervisor Michelle Huddleston.
- Consult the HPEO Community Service Page for complete instructions and procedures for doing community service for HPEO.