Potential applicants are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the requirements for this selective scholarship so that they may may be considered for the HAS. The preferred deadline for applying for the Honors Academic Scholarship (HAS) is February 21, 2019. Please take the time to read this section carefully before applying.
ARE YOU ELIGIBLE to APPLY for the HAS?
- The Honors Academic Scholarship (HAS) is available ONLY to students who have been already admitted to Honors, and are NOT official residents of the state of Tennessee.
- Acceptance to Honors does not guarantee that an applicant for the HAS will receive the scholarship.
- Requirements for receiving and maintaining eligibility for the HAS are rigorous. Students who are considering applying must be prepared to fulfill the academic and service requirements of the HAS as their top priorities.
- The HAS does not serve as a supplement or alternative to athletic scholarships or other forms of funding; it is intended to serve students committed to Honors education as reflected in their range of intellectual curiosity, hard work, personal integrity, and service within a community of scholars.
WHAT DOES THIS SCHOLARSHIP COVER?
The HAS covers the out-of-state portion of tuition and fees.
If you plan to apply for the HAS, it is highly recommended that you also apply for other Tennessee Tech scholarships as well. To do so, complete the Tech Scholarship Application, available on the Tennessee Tech ScholarWeb website. The deadline to apply for all scholarship other than the HAS is usually in early December of the year before enrollment. Please consult the Office of Scholarships for current deadlines.
REQUIREMENTS AND GUIDELINES
A student may receive the HAS only through his/her eighth full-time semester of undergraduate study. This includes semesters of study prior to receiving the HAS, and prior to attending Tennessee Tech.
Prerequisites for the HAS:
- Legal residency outside of the state of Tennessee
- Full membership in the Tennessee Tech Honors Program
- Evidence of strong intellectual ability and extraordinary commitment to the challenges and opportunities it affords
HAS scholarship maintenance requirements:
- Successfully complete at least one Honors course each semester until all requirements for graduation in cursu honorum are completed.
- Maintain a 3.50 cumulative GPA each semester.
- Successfully complete the Honors Program Enrichment Option (HPEO)'s 60-hour service requirement each semester.
This section is provided so that future applicants can prepare for the next application cycle.
If you are interested in fully participating in the Tech Honors Program, and wish to apply for the Honors Academic Scholarship, you (the student) must personally complete the following steps, in order:
- Read about the Honors Program: Start HERE on the Honors Website. Tech Honors is an academic program. Being accepted to Honors does not automatically qualify a candidate for the HAS.
- Read about HPEO - The Honors Program Enrichment Program: What is HPEO?
- Read the complete terms and requirements of the Honors Academic Scholarship:
Scholarship Terms and Rules
- Apply to the Honors Program: The student must personally complete and submit an application for admission to the Honors Program as a full member. Applications prepared by anyone other than the student applicant will be disqualified.
Only students who are accepted to Honors will be considered for the HAS.
- Apply for the Honors Academic Scholarship by the posted deadline. This application must also be completed by the student only. Like our application for admission to Honors, the HAS application is a selective process designed to determine the readiness of the individual candidate. Preferred deadline for Fall 2019 applicants: February 21, 2019.