Honors Academic Scholarship
Honors Academic Scholarship (HAS)
Potential applicants are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the requirements for this selective scholarship so that they may may be considered for the HAS. The early deadline for applying for the Honors Academic Scholarship (HAS) is February 28, 2022. Please take the time to read this section carefully before applying.
ARE YOU ELIGIBLE to APPLY for the HAS?
The Honors Academic Scholarship (HAS) is available only to students who have been admitted to Honors, and are not official residents of the state of Tennessee. Acceptance to Honors does not guarantee that an applicant for the HAS will receive the scholarship. The HAS scholarship is competitively awarded. Requirements for receiving and maintaining eligibility for the HAS are rigorous.
The HAS does not serve as a supplement or alternative to athletic scholarships or other forms of funding; it is intended to serve students committed to Honors education as reflected in their range of intellectual curiosity, hard work, personal integrity, and service within a community of scholars.
WHAT DOES THIS SCHOLARSHIP COVER?
The HAS covers the out-of-state portion of tuition and fees. Students who receive the Eagle's Reach tuition rate are also eligible to apply for an HAS to cover the remaining out-of-state tuition and fees.
Students who have been accepted to the Honors Program and are out-of-state residents can apply for the Honors Academic Scholarship on Tennessee Tech ScholarWeb.
REQUIREMENTS AND GUIDELINES
A student may receive the HAS only through his/her eighth full-time semester of undergraduate study. This includes semesters of study prior to receiving the HAS, and prior to attending Tennessee Tech.
Prerequisites for the HAS:
- Legal residency outside of the state of Tennessee
- Full membership in the Tennessee Tech Honors Program
- Evidence of strong intellectual ability and extraordinary commitment to the challenges and opportunities it affords
HAS scholarship maintenance requirements:
- Successfully complete at least one Honors course each semester until all requirements for graduation in cursu honorum are completed.
- Maintain a 3.50 cumulative GPA each semester.
- Successfully complete the Honors Program Enrichment Option (HPEO)'s 60-hour service requirement each semester.
This section is provided so that future applicants can prepare for the next application cycle.
If you are interested in fully participating in the Tech Honors Program, and wish to apply for the Honors Academic Scholarship, you (the student) must personally complete the following steps, in order:
- Read about the Honors Program: Start HERE on the Honors website. Tech Honors is an academic program. Being accepted to Honors does not automatically qualify a candidate for the HAS.
- Read about HPEO - The Honors Program Enrichment Program: What is HPEO?
- Read the complete terms and requirements of the Honors Academic Scholarship:
Scholarship Terms and Rules.
- Apply to the Honors Program: The student must personally complete and submit an application for admission to the Honors Program as a full member. Applications prepared by anyone other than the student applicant will be disqualified.
- Only students who are accepted to Honors will be considered for the HAS.
- Three essay questions are required. You can read those here.
- Apply for the Honors Academic Scholarship in ScholarWeb by the posted deadline. This application must also be completed by the student only. Like our application for admission to Honors, the HAS application is a selective process designed to determine the readiness of the individual candidate. Early deadline for Fall 2022 applicants: February 28, 2022. The final deadline is June 15, 2022.