Arrival & Onboarding to Campus
As you plan your travel to Cookeville and arrival to Tennessee Tech, it is recommended you arrive to campus by Monday, August 15 for the Fall 2022 semester. Spring 2022 information will be updated at a later date.
This will provide you a few days prior to classes starting for you to take care of various requirements. Below are a few items you should plan to take care of once you arrive in Cookeville.
- 1. Immigration Onboarding & Check-In
Upon your arrival to campus, you must check-in with the Office of International Education (Derryberry Hall, Room 135 - access our campus map). Office hours are Monday-Friday from 8:00am-4:30pm (central time).
Once checked in, you will be provided with some additional information from the International Education staff regarding next steps and items to complete.
International Education Contact Information
- Phone: (931) 372-3634, available M-F from 8am-4:30pm (central time)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2. Health Requirements
Tennessee Tech requires all students to comply with specific health and immunization requirements.
While we understand you may not have these requirements completed yet, an opportunity will be provided for you to complete the required immunizations needed to enroll (more information, including specific days and times will be provided soon).
Click the gold button below to learn more about Tennessee Tech's immunization requirements.
IMPORTANT: Any new international student that is under the age of 18 upon their arrival to campus and start of classes must have their parent or legal guardian complete the required health forms provided on the immunization requirements website linked above.
- 3. Open a Bank Account (if needed)
Since you will be living in the United States, you may want to open a local bank account. This is optional and is only required if you plan to have an on-campus job.
To open a local bank account, you will need to...
- Receive a letter from Tech's International Education Office
- Research local bank accounts to determine which bank and type of account may be best for your needs. The most common/recommended type of account is a checking account.
The following are local bank options:
- American Bank & Trust - 123 N Willow Ave, Cookeville, TN 38501
- F&M Bank - 900 N Washington Ave, Cookeville, TN 38501
- First National Bank of Tennessee - 412 S Jefferson Ave, Cookeville, TN 38501
- Regions Bank - 10 W Broad St, Cookeville, TN 38501
- U.S. Bank - 105 N Washington Ave, Cookeville, TN 38501
- Wilson Bank & Trust - 320 S Jefferson Ave, Cookeville, TN 38501
- 4. Provide Insurance
All international students are required to have health and accident insurance during the time that they are in the U.S.
When it comes to health insurance, you have two options:
- Purchase your own insurance coverage
- Purchase student health insurance coverage offered by Tennessee Tech
The Tennessee Tech student insurance plan provides hospital, surgical, basic medical, supplementary medical, and catastrophic services as well as evacuation and repatriation. Students purchasing private insurance must purchase something equivalent to the Tennessee Tech plan.
NOTE: Students cannot add medical insurance 30 days after any semester has begun. If you have any additional coverage questions contact the International Education Office staff at (931) 372-3634.
- 5. Schedule ACCUPLACER
It's possible you may need to schedule an ACCUPLACER exam so that your academic advisor can best assist you regarding the courses you should take. ACCUPLACER test scores place students in math, reading, and writing courses.
The Tennessee Tech's Testing & Learning Center requires students to register for the ACCUPLACER exam at least 24-hours in advance.
To determine if you need to complete the ACCUPLACER and to register, click the button below.
- 6. Upload Photo for Student I.D.
The Eagle Card is the official identification card (Student I.D.) for the university. Eagle Cards are valid for the duration of your education at Tennessee Tech.
To receive your Eagle Card, you must be admitted and have completed the onboarding process with the Office of International Education. Photo requirements and information on how to upload a valid photo are available on the link below.
To learn more about the Eagle Card and its services, visit www.tntech.edu/eaglecard.