Emergency Medical Technician
There are several changes from the State of TN Office of EMS. The State will be licensing at 3 levels. Those are EMT, Advanced EMT and Paramedic. TTU started teaching EMT using the new curriculum in 2014. We will start with the AEMT course in January 2015. The Advanced EMT is a separate course and offered after the completion of the EMT course. If the intention is to work for an Ambulance Service it will be necessary to be licensed by the State of TN Office of EMS as an Advanced EMT. The EMT course no longer has IV as a part of the course. IV has been moved into the Advanced EMT level.
One major change is this program is going to transition to Volunteer State Community College. This opens up financial aid opportunities.
Start Date: August, 2015 or January 2016.
Ending Date: TBA
Lecture hours: Tuesday and Thursday nights from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. (Note the time change)
Clinical hours: Minimum of 60 hours at various Ambulance Services, Dates will be scheduled with the clinical coordinator.
Prerequisites: Should be 18 years of age or older, academic high school diploma or GED, shall not have been convicted of a felony or Class A or B misdemeanor, and shall have a valid driver's license.
Tuition:See Volunteer State Cmmunity College website at www.volstate.edu .
Class Location: All classes are held in the Jere Whitson Building on the quadrangle of TTU in room JW131H. However, this location may change so confirm the location before the first night of class.
- Registration will open at TBA
- Registration Deadline: TBA
- Class Maximum is 24
- Tuition must be paid at the time of registration.
- Checks, credit or debit cards are the only acceptable form of payment.
- Should be 18-years old (must be 18 years old by the start of clinical)
- Must have an academic high school diploma or GED at time of registration.
- Special education diploma or Certificates of Attendance are not allowed.
- Clinical packets are ready to be picked up but call the office (931-372-3396 or 931-372-3120) first to make sure someone is available to distribute them.
Important Note: All students must have a background check if the desire is to be licensed by the State of TN Office of EMS, at the EMT level.. Information for both will be given in the clinical packet. If anyone interested in this course has a potential problem with the background check or drug screen, please talk with the coordinator of EMS programs (Dennis Parker) before enrolling in the course.