Concentrations: Environmental Science | Environmental Technology | Society, Culture & Communication
Do you want to find solutions to real-world problems? Unleash your environmental spirit!
Would you like to lead a purposeful professional life that positively impacts the environment? This degree prepares students for careers focused on sustaining Earth's resources for future generations!
- Each year environmental issues become more complex due to population growth, pollution, and limited natural resources.
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Environmental and Sustainability Studies from Tennessee Tech prepares you to lead and succeed in this fast-growing career field through solid scientific foundations and broad context applications.
WHAT CAN I DO WITH AN ESS DEGREE?
Dr. Hayden Mattingly, 931-372-3698 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Tammy Boles, 931-372-6123 or email email@example.com.
Dr. Steven Sharp, 931-372-6221 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Irene Mauk, 931-372-6246 or email email@example.com.
- Environmental professionals work at all levels private sector firms, government agencies, and scientific facilities in managerial, policy, research and communications roles.
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there will be a 30% increase in job availability for environmental scientists and specialists.
Three B.S. Degree Concentrations
- Sub-concentrations: Biology, Chemistry, or Natural Resources
Purpose of Environmental & Sustainability Studies Program
The Environmental and Sustainability Studies (ESS) undergraduate program focuses on developing a student's ability to find solutions to environmental problems through an interdisciplinary approach to teaching and learning.
The ESS degree aligns well with the vision and mission of Tennessee Tech as the state's comprehensive university known for offering high-quality programs in the STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) disciplines. This program will produce graduates for a growing field of career opportunities and state and national need.
The ESS program will foster in students the desire to lead purposeful professional lives through the application of scientific principles to environmental issues within the social, political and economic framework of our society.
ESS Program Goals
- to prepare students to analyze and propose sustainable solutions for complex, real-world environmental problems;
- to understand and integrate ideas from the ecological, social, and physical sciences with technological solutions;
- to be life-long learners;
- and, to lead socially responsible lives that sustain the Earth's fragile environment.
For assistance contact Dr. Hayden Mattingly, 931-372-3698 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ENGL 1010 / Writing I (3)
- ENGL 1020 / Writing II (3)
- COMM 2025 or PC 2500 / Oral Communication (3)
- *MATH 1130 / College Algebra; MATH
1830 / Concepts of Calculus; or MATH 1910 / Calculus I (3 or 4)
- * Mathematics course depends on concentration of study
- HIST 2010 / Early United States History (3)
- HIST 2020 / Modern United States History (3)
- ENGL 2130, 2235, or 2330 / Sophomore Literature (3)
- PHIL 1030 / Introduction to Philosophy (3)
- Hum/FA Elective (From approved list) (3)
- ECON 2010 / Principles of Microeconomics (3)
- SOC 1010 / Introduction to Sociology (3)
- *CHEM 1010/ Introduction to Chemistry I or CHEM 1110 /General Chemistry I (4)
- BIOL 1020 / Introduction to Biology II (4)
* Check concentration requirements.
Major Field Core Curriculum
- AGBE 4120 / Environmental and NR Economics (3)
- BIOL 3120/3130 / General Ecology (with lab or non-lab) (3-4)
- ESS 1100 / Introduction to Environmental Studies (3)
- ESS 1020 / Connection to the Environment (1)
- *ESS 3710 or CHEM 4710 / Environmental Chemistry (3)
- ESS 3000 / Environmental Law (3)
- ESS 4001/4002 / Capstone in ESS (6)
- GEOL 1045 / Earth Environment Resources and Society (4)
- HIST 3900 / Environmental History (3)
- MATH 3070 / Statistical Methods I (3)
- SOC 3600 / Environmental Sociology (3)
* Check concentration requirements.