- Do you have to take the exam?
You must take the ACCUPLACER exam if one of the following conditions applies:
- You do not have ACT scores
- Your ACT scores are more than three years old as of your first day of classes at Tennessee Tech
- You want to challenge your placement based on your ACT scores
Your transfer credits may also affect whether or not you take the exam. Call 931-372-3476 or email email@example.com if you aren’t sure whether you need to take the ACCUPLACER exam.
- Exam Dates
You must call 931-372-3456 (Janet Whiteaker) or 931-372-3409 (Sharon Buckner) to schedule an appointment to take the exam. You may be able to take the test closer to home if you are not close to Tennessee Tech.
Date Arrival Time* Exam Start Time Location Fee Wednesday, August 14 8:30 a.m. 9:00 a.m. Library 248 $20 Thursday, August 15 8:30 a.m. 9:00 a.m. Library 248 $20
*If you arrive late, you may be rescheduled for a later test date.
- Cost & Procedure
ACCUPLACER determines students’ level of preparation for college to place them in appropriate courses. It measures preparedness in writing, reading comprehension, and math. There is a $20 charge (cash or check) for taking/retaking the exam whether you take one, two, or three sections.
We can accept ACCUPLACER Placement Exam scores sent directly from other schools to Tennessee Tech; we do not accept student copies as valid scores. Have the scores faxed to Tennessee Tech's Learning Support Program (LSP) at 931-372-6275.
- Allow three hours for the entire test. It is a self-paced, computerized test, which allows you to proceed at your own rate.
- Bring the following on test day:
- Photo ID (driver’s license, passport, EagleCard)
- T-number (Tennessee Tech student identification number)
- All supplies (paper, pencils, calculators, etc.) will be provided by the testing facility.
- Students who give or receive help during the test will not be admitted to the institution and must wait 90 days before taking the test again.
- Test results are available at the end of the test and will be explained to you.
- You should discuss the results with your academic advisor.
- Study Materials
General ACCUPLACER Preparation
- Reading skills tutorials
- Adult literacy
- 7 ways to improve your reading ability
- 10 Steps to improve college reading skills
- TOEFL iBT Test - improving your reading skills
- Improve your writing by improving your reading
Test Anxiety Resources