The Tennessee Tech library is a selective Federal Depository for publications of the United States Government distributed by the Government Printing Office (GPO). This depository was established in 1969. The Library serves the Sixth U.S. House of Representatives Congressional District of Tennessee and has primary sources of government information.
The Library selects extensively in the following areas due to University programs and regional location:
- Department of Agriculture
- Department of Education
- Bureau of the Census
- Environmental Protection Agency
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- Water Resources Council
- U.S. Geological Survey
- Congressional publications
- Appalachian Regional Commission
- Tennessee Valley Authority
Services include reference assistance, loaning materials, and library instruction.
Many government publications may be borrowed for a period of two weeks. This includes topographic maps.
The Federal government has developed policies and passed acts that apply to your rights to information, as well as the operation of the Government Printing Office and Depository Libraries:
- FOIA (Freedom of Information Act)
- Title 44 of the U.S. Code (GPO's responsibilities)
- Library Services (GPO)
Randy Raper, Library Assistant Senior in Government Publications