Testing - Frequently Asked Questions
What time should I arrive for my exam?
What if I arrive late?
What if I can't make my scheduled time?
What should I bring?
What can I expect upon arrival?
What items are prohibited in the testing room?
What if I need assistance during an exam?
What if there are technical difficulties?
Are breaks allowed during the exam?
What other rules should I know about?
What if I can’t make my scheduled time?
Examinees should reschedule or cancel their appointment online as soon as they know they cannot make it. If it is last-minute due to an emergency, please call the TLC at 931-372-6126.
What should I bring?
Two photo IDs must be presented, and one must be a valid government-issued ID with your signature. If you are permitted a calculator, notes, book, etc., be sure to bring those items as well. The TLC will provide scratch paper if allowed, writing utensils, tissues, and computers. If you bring any prohibited items with you, they must be stored in the lockers. Anything that does not fit in the lockers cannot remain in the TLC.
Upon arrival, you will:
- notify the TLC front desk that you have arrived
- hand in a photo ID to receive a locker key to store your belongings
- present your valid government-issued photo ID with a signature for identity purposes
- turn your pockets inside out to verify you have no prohibited items
- roll up long sleeves and pant legs to verify you have no prohibited items
- be taken to your assigned seat to begin testing
- calculators unless allowed by instructor or vendor
- calculator covers
- recording devices
- photographic equipment
- cell phones
- bluetooth devices
- jump drives/thumb drives
- MP3 players, iPods, tablets, headphones/earbuds
- PDAs (personal digital assistants)
- fitness trackers
- hats/head coverings except those for religious purposes
- coats, hoodies, and outerwear
- belt buckles larger than 2 inches
- jewelry larger than 1/4 inch
- keys except for the TLC-issued locker key
- smart glasses (Google, SnapChat, etc.)
- tissues not provided by the TLC
- pens and pencils not provided by the TLC
- food and beverages
- tobacco products
- notes, textbooks, and study materials unless allowed by instructor or vendor
Raise your hand to alert the TLC proctor. Examples of instances where an examinee needs assistance:
- Hardware or software problems that affect your ability to take the exam. If an error message is displayed on the computer screen, DO NOT clear the message.
- Need for additional scratch paper or pencils if permitted
If this happens, notify the proctor immediately by raising your hand. The proctor will make every effort to correct technical problems as quickly as possible. The problem will be reported to the course instructor or the appropriate vendor if necessary.
- Scheduled break time is predetermined by the instructor or exam vendor and does not count against your testing time
- Unscheduled break time will be included in the total allowed exam time
- During your break, you cannot use any prohibited items or discuss the exam with anyone
- Repeated or lengthy unscheduled breaks will be reported to the instructor or exam vendor
- Note: some exams may not allow you to leave the testing room prior to completing the exam
- Unauthorized possession, reproduction, recording, discussion, reconstruction of content from memory, or disclosure of any materials or content before, during, or after an exam is prohibited
- You must conduct yourself in a courteous manner at all times
- Persons not scheduled to take an exam are not permitted to wait in the TLC, but they may wait in any public area of the library
- Weapons and firearms of any kind are prohibited in the TLC except for authorized employees pursuant to Tennessee Tech University Policy No. 422
- Examinees who utilize lockers are financially responsible for damage to lockers and lost keys
- The TLC is not responsible for lost, misplaced, or stolen items; anything that does not fit in the lockers cannot remain in the TLC