BY: Will Housley
Placing first in four separate categories, Tennessee Tech University's FFA chapter excelled at this year's Tennessee FFA Alumni Collegiate Contest.
Held every year at the Tennessee Alumni State Convention at Montgomery Bell State Park in Dickson, Tenn., the TFACC hosts competitions among five universities including TTU, the University of Tennessee-Knoxville, the University of Tennessee-Martin, Middle Tennessee State University, and Tennessee State University.
This year's contests included agriculture business, interview, agriculture education interview, agriculture production interview, agriculture professions interview, extemporaneous speaking, prepared public speaking, quiz bowl, scrapbook, and basket. The interview contests are consistent with job interviews, the speaking contests are just that: speaking contests. The quiz bowl is much like Jeopardy, in that questions are asked and the teams buzz in to answer questions pertaining to FFA and agriculture. Scrapbook is a scrapbook of schools of agriculture and FFA activities throughout the year. Basket is a compilation of items unique to the contestant's town, university, etc. that are then auctioned in a live auction.
TTU's results are as follows:
• Interview – Animal Production: Andy Ligon – first place
• Interview – Agribusiness: Chelsea Rose – first place
• Extemporaneous Speaking: Matthew McClanahan – first place
• Prepared Public Speaking: Alyssa Fee – first place
• Scrapbook: second place
• Quiz Team: Amanda Scott, Matt Craighead, Chelsey King and Lee-Allen Turner – second place
• Interview – Agriculture Education: Whitney Judd – third place
• Interview – Agricultural Process: Kaleb Hodges – third place