A concert featuring Byron Stripling and his quartet is at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 8, at Tennessee Tech University’s Wattenbarger Auditorium.
“This is a great opportunity for our students to learn from and interact with one of the best players in the world,” said Chris McCormick, jazz studies director at TTU. “Byron has a reputation for not only being a world-class player, but a top notch entertainer as well.”
Stripling started his career playing with the bands of Lionel Hampton, Woody Herman and Count Basie. He is the artistic director and conductor of the Columbus Jazz Orchestra in Columbus, Ohio.
Stripling has played with more than 50 symphony and pops orchestras around the U.S. and Canada. He will be joined by Bobby Floyd on piano, Larry Cook on bass and Rich Thompson on drums.
A meet-the-artist session is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. that day.
Sponsored by Center Stage, the concert is free and open to the public.
TTU Arts Roundup:
Appalachian Center for Craft
- 2011 Focus on Fibers exhibit features Craft Center fiber students and artists in residence and continues until Nov. 28
Joan Derryberry Art Gallery
- TTU art faculty's multimedia exhibition runs until Nov. 30.
- TTU's Tuba Ensemble and the Tubas Unlimited Alumni Ensemble will perform the 45th anniversary reunion concert, directed by R. Winston Morris, at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 4.
- TTU's percussion ensembles, directed by Eric Willie, perform at 3 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 6.
- Stefan Logue's senior student recital is at 5 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 6.
- A studio flute recital is at 7 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 6.
- Florida State University's percussion ensemble will perform a guest artist concert at 5:15 p.m. Monday, Nov. 7.
- The Cumberland Quintet's faculty ensemble is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Monday, Nov. 7.
- Byron Stripling's jazz concert is at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 8.
- TTU's Horn Choir, directed by Jeremy Hansen, will perform at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 9.
- The Trombone Choir concert is scheduled for 8:15 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 9.
- Andrew Kennedy's senior trumpet recital is at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 10.
The Appalachian Center for Craft is located six miles off Highway 56 (Interstate 40, exit 273) near Smithville. Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. The Joan Derryberry Art Gallery is located on the first floor of the Roaden University Center and is open to the public from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Backdoor Playhouse is located in Jere Whitson Memorial Building. For more information, call 372-6595. Unless noted otherwise, all concerts are free and open to the public and take place in the Bryan Fine Arts Building. The concert schedule is subject to change. For more information, call 372-3161.