Tonia Matthews’ printmaking exhibition opens Monday, April 9, Tennessee Tech University’s Joan Derryberry Art Gallery.
Matthews’ exhibit displays everyday objects in a new light.
“In this series of prints, I demonstrate a rich combination of printmaking techniques such as etching, solar plates and mezzotint,” Matthews said.
Matthews received a bachelor’s degree in fine art in 1981 from Indiana University. She is an assistant professor and director of the studio art master’s program at Towson University in Towson, MD.
She shows her art regionally, nationally and internationally. Her work is exhibited in collections of the National Institute of Health, the College of Notre Dame and Clemson University.
A gallery talk and reception are scheduled for 4:30 p.m. Thursday, April 26.
TTU Arts Roundup:
Appalachian Center for Craft
- Brad Smith’s glass exhibition opens Tuesday, April 3, in Gallery One and runs until Monday, April 9.
- The exhibitions for the spring Bachelor of Fine Arts candidates will run until Monday, May 7, in Gallery One and North Windows.
- The annual resident artist exhibition continues until Monday, April 23, in Gallery Two.
- The 21st Annual Dorothy Printz Pennebaker Memorial Spring Production opens at 8 p.m. Thursday, April 12, and runs until Saturday, April 21.
- There are two Trombones at Tech recitals on Monday, April 9, one at 7 p.m. and one at 8:15 p.m.
- The TTU Concert Choir performs at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 10.
- Duane Vick’s senior piano recital is at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, April 12.
- TTU’s Percussion Ensemble premiers a composition by American composers Christopher Dane, Paul Lansky and Blake Tyson at 7:30 p.m. Sunday, April 15.
The Appalachian Center for Craft is located six miles off Highway 56 (Interstate 40, Exit 273) near Smithville. Hours are 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily. The Joan Derryberry Art Gallery is located on the first floor of the Roaden University Center and is open to the public from 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Backdoor Playhouse is located in Jere Whitson Memorial Building. For more information, call 372-6595. Unless noted otherwise, all concerts are free and take place in the Bryan Fine Arts Building. The concert schedule is subject to change. For more information, call 372-3161.