Published: Thu Mar 15, 2012
The Oscar Utterstrom Quintet, headlined by jazz trombonist Oscar Utterstrom, will perform at 8 p.m. Tuesday, March 20, at Tennessee Tech University’s Wattenbarger Auditorium.
Utterstrom, performing with an electric trombone, mixes elements of electronica, rock and Swedish soundscapes. His genre-mixing sound consists of mostly original compositions.
The quintet uses a DJ, making its concerts active and exciting.
Utterstrom studied trombone at Boston’s Berklee College of Music. He moved to Nashville where he worked as a production assistant at The Sessions Agency on Music Row before getting his master’s degree in jazz studies at Middle Tennessee State University.
He has performed with acts like Kelly Clarkson, My Morning Jacket, the Temptations and Mike Farris.
The concert is free and open to the public.
TTU Arts Roundup:
Appalachian Center for Craft
- The annual resident artist exhibition continues until Monday, April 23, in Gallery Two.
- Rob Jackson’s “The Eloquent Nail,” a jewelry exhibition, continues until Monday, April 2, in the North Windows Gallery.
- The Juried Bachelor of Fine Art Exhibition, featuring various media runs until Friday, April 6, in Gallery One.
Joan Derryberry Art Gallery
- The Trujilo Rio Grande tapestries exhibit continues until Thursday, April 5, with a gallery talk and reception at 11 a.m. that day.
- TTU’s Chorale performs at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, March 15.
- The Freshman Tuba Ensemble and quartets perform at 6 p.m. Friday, March 16.
- Bill Glesias’ student tuba recital is at 7 p.m. Friday, March 16.
- Ryan Snell’s student tuba recital is at 8 p.m. Friday, March 16.
- Benjamin Bjork and Annie Short’s student saxophone recitals are at 1 p.m. Saturday, March 17.
- Courtney Tucker’s student clarinet recital is at 3 p.m. Saturday, March 17.
- The Euba Tuba Quartet and Les Tubas Quartet’s recital is at 6 p.m. Saturday, March 17.
- Briana Engelbert’s euphonium student recital is at 7 p.m. Saturday, March 17.
- Preston Light’s student tuba recital is at 8 p.m. Saturday, March 17.
- The Bryan Symphony Orchestra performs at 3 p.m. Sunday March 18.
- Josh Voile’s student voice recital is at 7 p.m. Sunday, March 18.
- Josh Mayberry’s student tuba recital is at 8:15 p.m. Sunday, March 18.
- Tennessee Tech’s Tuba Ensemble performs at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 21.
- A flute studio recital is scheduled for 3 p.m. Sunday, March 25.
- A saxophone studio recital is scheduled for 5 p.m. Sunday, March 25.
- Camron Gray and Hailey Hancock perform a student voice recital at 7:30 p.m. Sunday, March 25.
The Appalachian Center for Craft is located six miles off Highway 56 (Interstate 40, Exit 273) near Smithville. Hours are 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily. The Joan Derryberry Art Gallery is located on the first floor of the Roaden University Center and is open to the public from 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Backdoor Playhouse is located in Jere Whitson Memorial Building. For more information, call 372-6595. Unless noted otherwise, all concerts are free and take place in the Bryan Fine Arts Building. The concert schedule is subject to change. For more information, call 372-3161.