Tennessee Tech University will host nearly 400 high school students during the TTU All-Star Instrumental Symposium Friday, Nov. 18, in Wattenbarger Auditorium.
During the day, students will have the opportunity to meet with TTU faculty to discuss auditioning, technique and performance, among other things. Beginning at 3:15 p.m., they hold a series of concerts that are free and open to the public.
TTU Arts Roundup:
Appalachian Center for Craft
- The 2011 Focus on Fibers exhibit of the Craft Center's fiber students and artists in residence continues until Monday, Nov. 28.
- Anasazi Secret, a Native American folk roots music group, performs a free concert at 6 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 10, in Derryberry Auditorium.
Joan Derryberry Art Gallery
- TTU faculty of art's multi-media exhibition runs until Wednesday, Nov. 30.
The Backdoor Playhouse
- The 25thAnnual Putnam County Spelling Bee continues until Saturday, Nov. 12. The show starts at 8 p.m., with a 2 p.m. matinee Nov. 12. Tickets are $7 at the door.
- Sleepy Eyed Fox and special guests will perform at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 15. Tickets are $5 at the door.
- The Bryan Symphony Orchestra will perfrom "Tchaikovsky Triumphs," conducted by Dan Allcott, featuring Jose Franch-Ballister as clarinet guest soloist at 3 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 13.
- The U.S. Air Force Academy Band will perform at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 15
- The TTU All-Star Instrumental Symposium concerts will begin at 3:15 p.m. Friday, Nov. 18.
- The TTU Wind Ensemble will hold a concert at 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 18.
The Appalachian Center for Craft is located six miles off Highway 56 (Interstate 40, Exit 273) near Smithville. Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. The Joan Derryberry Art Gallery is located on the first floor of the Roaden University Center and is open to the public from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Backdoor Playhouse is located in Jere Whitson Memorial Building. For more information, call 372-6595. Unless otherwise noted, all concerts are free and take place in the Bryan Fine Arts Building. The concert schedule is subject to change. For more information, call 372-3161.