Student Orientation Assistants
Become an SOA
Interested in becoming part of the 2020 SOA team? Review the benefits, qualifications, and commitment information provided below.
- Paid summer employment
- Early Registration for Spring & Fall 2020
- Summer membership to the Tech's Fitness Center
- Exclusive textbook and merchandise discounts at the University Bookstore
- Skills in effective communication
- Extensive leadership experience
- Exclusive t-shirts and Tech swag
- Opportunities for developing or enhancing professional relationships with Tech administration, faculty, staff & new students!
- Must be an undergraduate Tech student and NOT graduating in the Spring/Summer 2020
- Have a positive attitude toward scholarship and the University
- Have great interpersonal skills
- Time to commit to the training schedule & orientation events
- Earned a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better in college (or 3.0 in high school if you are a freshman)
- Orientation retreat in January 2020
- Training sessions, held on Thursday afternoons from 4:00 P.M. - 7:00 P.M. during the Spring semester. *Note: These sessions are mandatory. Work & class schedules must be adjusted to accommodate training.
- Orientation sessions in May, June, July, & August
- Week of Welcome 2020
- Students selected to serve as SOAs cannot take traditional on-campus summer classes. May-mester & online courses are acceptable as long as they do not conflict with summer orientation responsibilities.
If you are interested in applying and want to learn more about the position, hear from the 2019 SOAs about their experiences and get your questions answered, we encourage you to attend one of our SOA Interest Meetings! Interest Meetings for potential 2020 SOA applicants are:
- Tuesday, September 10, 2019 - 6pm (Jere Whitson Building, rm. 207)
- Wednesday, September 18, 2019 - 5pm (Jere Whitson Building, rm. 207)
- Thursday, September 19, 2019 - 11am (Jere Whitson Building, rm. 207)
Application Information & Instructions:
- Access the online application by clicking the button below, then follow each of the four (4) section's instructions.
- All applications must be submitted by Wednesday, September 25, 2019.
- REFERENCES - All new applicant references must be submitted by Friday, September 27, 2019. A link to the online reference form is also available below.
- Each application will be reviewed. Candidates will be contacted to schedule an interview
during one of the two interview days.
All positions for the 2020 SOA team have been filled. Check back in the fall for more information about applying for the 2021 team!