COVID-19 Reporting and Information • HEERF I & II

Freshman Orientation (SOAR)

Submit Before SOAR

Prior to your SOAR session you may be contacted via your Tech campus email, accessed through TechExpress, to resolve the following items (holds) on your account. You can also find information regarding any holds you may have within your TechExpress account.

Each student should resolve these matters prior to their orientation session to prevent any problems with their admittance or course registration.

 Recommended Items to Bring to SOAR


Items marked (*) are required to bring to SOAR. All other items are recommended for students and guests attending a SOAR session:

  • *SOAR Parking Pass (available for download & print from your SOAR reminder email)
  • *Required documentation for I-9 Card IF working on campus**
  • Personal face mask (or a disposable one will be provided at check-in) and hand sanitizer
  • Linens (towels, blankets, pillow, etc.) if staying overnight on campus.
  • License plate number of your vehicle - if you would like to register for your parking permit during SOAR
  • Comfortable clothing
  • Comfortable walking shoes
  • Umbrella
  • Pencil/pen
  • Notebook/writing pad
  • Internet accessible device
  • Chargers for electronics
  • Checkbook, credit card, or other payment method (to purchase items; tuition will NOT be paid at this time)
  • Snacks and water (University Bookstore will be open to purchase snacks or drinks, if needed)


I-9 Information**

Students that will be working on campus will need to obtain an I-9 card, Employment Eligibility Verification Form. You will not be able to pick up your work assignment or start working until the process is complete. It’s suggested that you complete this process while at orientation so please contact Human Resources at or at (931) 372-3034 for details on how to complete the I-9 process.

New Student & Family Programs