The Caplenor Faculty Research Award, established in 1984 in honor of the late Dr. Charles Donald Caplenor, former Associate Vice President for Research and Dean of Instructional Development, is awarded annually to one member of the faculty of Tennessee Technological University for outstanding research accomplished while employed at the University. (Read more about Dr. Caplenor )
- NAME: Caplenor Faculty Research Award Committee
- PURPOSE: The purpose of the committee is to administer
the program for selection of the Caplenor Faculty Research Award recipient.
- The committee will consist of one faculty
representative elected from each college or school, the Associate Vice
President for Research, and the two previous award recipients. An alternate for
each representative will be elected to serve should the representative be
nominated for the award or be unable to serve. These elections are to be held
in each college/school during Spring Semester as required, and the terms of the
elected representative and alternate will begin the following Fall Semester.
- Terms of Office
- Elected Representative and Alternate - Three-year terms
- Associate Vice President for Research - Permanent
- Previous Award Winners - Two-year terms
- The Executive Officer for the committee will be the Associate Vice President for Research. The award recipient in the second year of service to the committee will serve as Chairperson. In the event this award recipient is unable to serve as Chairperson, the committee will elect a Chairperson from the membership.
- Executive Officer
- The Executive Officer will provide technical assistance to the committee.
- The Chairperson will take office at the
beginning of the academic year. Responsibilities are to:
- Preside at all meetings or designate another member to preside.
- Prepare a tentative agenda for each meeting to be distributed at least five (5) working days prior to the meeting.
- Approve the minutes of the meetings to be distributed to the committee members.
- Call special meetings when necessary.
- Appoint ad hoc
subcommittees as needed.
- The Chairperson will take office at the beginning of the academic year. Responsibilities are to:
- Staff Support
- Staff support will be provided by the Office
- Staff support will be provided by the Office of Research.
- The committee will meet in October and at
other times as needed.
The award recognizes a candidate’s summative contribution supporting the mission of TTU regarding scholarship and/or creativity. Important potential contributions for the award would include:
- Criteria for Nomination
- Significant recognized peer-reviewed publications, including work with her/his students and collaborators in the field of scholarship or creativity.
- Documented significant art pieces and performances (music, literary work, paintings, film, etc.) in outlets accepted by the discipline.
- Presentations such as seminars, lectures, performances, galleries, etc. related to her/his field of scholarship or creativity, including those made by invitation as keynote and/or plenary lectures.
- Contributions to the profession such as membership on editorial boards, editing journals, special issues, books, etc. and the organization of professional meetings (technical, educational, art exhibitions, etc.)
- Previous professional recognition given to the candidate by other institutions, and/or professional organizations related to the candidate’s discipline.
- External funding as related to individuals discipline.
- Any person who is employed as a full-time member of the faculty shall be eligible for nomination regardless of faculty rank or title provided that he/she satisfies the remaining qualifications. "Faculty member" is defined as one who holds academic rank and who is directly engaged in instruction, research, or public service.
- A nominee shall have been employed at least three academic years at Tennessee Technological University prior to being nominated.
- A faculty member who has won the award shall be ineligible for the same award for a period of five years.
- Nominations will be made by submission of a
signed nomination form. Any person who is a full-time Tennessee Technological
University faculty member may submit a nomination on behalf of himself/herself
or any other individual. No individual may make more than one nomination per
year. All nominations must be submitted to the Office of Research. Only one
nomination form is needed to place a candidate's name in nomination.
- Nominations will be made by submission of a signed nomination form. Any person who is a full-time Tennessee Technological University faculty member may submit a nomination on behalf of himself/herself or any other individual. No individual may make more than one nomination per year. All nominations must be submitted to the Office of Research. Only one nomination form is needed to place a candidate's name in nomination.
- Nomination Form
- Nominations will be made
on a form provided by the Office of Research which will include a request for
the following information:
- Full name of nominee.
- Nominee's current position.
- Date of first employment at Tennessee Technological University.
- Names and full addresses of only three individuals well acquainted with the nominee's qualifications. One must be off-campus. Email addresses are also encouraged.
- Justification of why the nominee should receive the award.
- Name and signature of
- Nominations will be made on a form provided by the Office of Research which will include a request for the following information:
- Letters of Recommendation
- The committee will request a letter of
recommendation from each of the three individuals listed on the nomination form
- The committee will request a letter of recommendation from each of the three individuals listed on the nomination form as references.
- Requested Materials from Nominees
- Nominees for the Caplenor Faculty Research
Award will be asked to:
- Describe the significant accomplishments made to a research field (Please limit to four (4) pages).
- List publications since employment at Tennessee Technological University categorized by those in refereed and non-refereed publications. Further, these two categories are to be listed according to abstracts, chapters, articles, technical reports of research, monographs, books, music scores, art works, etc.
- List oral presentations for the last three years categorized into technical and non-technical; i.e., before professional or civic audiences.
- List research since employment at Tennessee Technological University categorized by externally funded research including funding source, title of project, period of performance, and funded amount and internally conducted research including source of sponsorship (such as Faculty Research Fund, departmental, etc.), title of project, period of performance, funded amount (if any), and whether a final report was submitted.
- Include a vita and
other information not specifically requested in the above sections believed to
be useful in evaluation for the award.
- Nominees for the Caplenor Faculty Research Award will be asked to:
- Nomination Carryover
- The credentials of a nominee not selected for
the award will automatically be reconsidered the next year. The individual will
be given the opportunity to update materials. After the second year,
consideration will be given to an individual only if renominated.
- The credentials of a nominee not selected for the award will automatically be reconsidered the next year. The individual will be given the opportunity to update materials. After the second year, consideration will be given to an individual only if renominated.
- Time Frame
- A call for nominations will be made the third week of October in the fall semester and published in the Tech Times or equivalent.
- Reminders will be sent to all academic deans and department chairpersons during the third week of October in the fall semester.
- Nomination forms must be received in the Office of Research by the third Friday in November.
- Nominees will be notified the following Monday in writing and asked to submit their materials to support the nomination.
- Materials must be submitted by the nominee to the Office of Research by the third Tuesday in January.
- The materials of all nominees will be forwarded to the committee by the third Friday in January.
- The committee will
meet during the third week of March to select the award recipient.
- The name of the award recipient will be
certified by the Associate Vice President for Research and forwarded to the
President of the University through the Vice President for Academic Affairs for
- The name of the award recipient will be certified by the Associate Vice President for Research and forwarded to the President of the University through the Vice President for Academic Affairs for public release.
- The University shall give appropriate recognition
to the recipient in terms of a cash award, a plaque presented at the Spring
Faculty Recognition Reception, and a listing on a permanent plaque located in
- The rules contained in the current edition of
Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised will govern the committee in all cases
to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with these
- These procedures can be amended at any regular
meeting of the committee by a vote of two-thirds of those present, provided
that the proposed changes have been submitted in writing to each member at
least one (1) week prior to the meeting.
- The procedures shall become effective April 1,
Date Approved by Academic Council: February 22, 1995
Date Approved by Administrative Council: March 29, 1995
2017-2018 Schedule of Activities
October 30, 2017
and email reminders to Deans and Chairs
Monday, November 20, 2017
Call for Proposals in Tech Times (Various times)
October 30-December 8, 2017
Letter to Carryover Nominees
Monday, October 30, 2017
Due in Office of Research
November 17, 2017
Request to Nominees for Completing Background Form
*Monday, December 11, 2017
Request Letters of Support from Nominees' References
*Monday, December 11, 2017
Background Forms and Supporting Materials
Tuesday, January 16, 2018
Nominees’ Reference Letters Due in Office of Research
Tuesday, January 16, 2018
|Distribute Nominee Materials to Committee||Friday, January 19, 2018|
to Have Top Four Rankings Back to
Research Office Personnel
|Friday, February 23, 2018|
|Committee Meeting to Select Recipient (TBD)||
March 16, 2018
|Committee Recommendation to President Oldham||Monday, March 19, 2018|
|Announcement of Award Recipient in Tech Times||After the Awards Reception|
of Award at Faculty Awards
|Thursday, April 19, 2018|