Emergency Preparedness - Bomb Threat
If you receive a bomb threat:
- Stay composed.
- If you have caller ID, write down the number displayed.
- Get the attention of someone nearby and tell them to call Tn Tech PD at 372-3234 immediately.
- Keep the caller on the phone by asking the following questions:When is the bomb going
- Where is it right now?
- What does it look like?
- What kind of bomb is it?
- What will cause it to explode?
- Did you place the bomb?
- What is your address?
- What is your name?
- Relay information to first responders as soon as possible and follow their directions.
- Cooperate with the arriving emergency personnel while they evaluate the threat.
- Follow police (or emergency personnel) orders to evacuate to your building’s assembly point. Visit the Functional Needs Emergency Information page if you need evacuation assistance.
- Alert others to evacuate if there is an immediate threat.
Making a False Bomb Threat is not a Victimless Prank
It ties up response resources that could be needed for a real emergency and can negatively affect reactions in the event of an actual bomb threat.
A false bomb threat will be turned over to the proper legal authorities for investigation and possible criminal prosecution. Making a false bomb threat will also be considered cause for disciplinary action, up to and including expulsion for students and termination for employees.